• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nekomi

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out how to make a "clean" presentation of an internal overflow box for the past few days, and this is what I've come up with so far.

diy_overflow.jpg

Basically, the overflow box is simply a pane cut to fit 1" in front of the real back wall of the tank. The returns run into the main tank via PVC pipe, and the drains would be situated on the bottom of the real back wall, leading into the sump.

I like this design because it allows for a completely clean presentation of the display area. In addition, the 37 gallon Oceanic tank I was going to buy actually turned out to be 42 gallons when I put the dimensions through an online calculator, so knocking an inch off the back actually brought it back to 37 gallons. ;) So, no substantial loss in space.

I imagine that 1" in the back is wide enough since the drains will be situated on the back wall. Three drains would be able to handle the drainage, right?

My biggest dilemna right now is what material to use for the overflow pane. I wanted to use glass since I'm buying a glass tank (don't like acrylic), but I was informed that I can't cut teeth in the glass. Is there any way to bind a piece of acrylic to glass, or any other material that might work? A black (not clear) material would be my preference.

Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
comments:
1, if the holes are on the lower back, you need to make sure the panel does not "leak" water from the display area to the overflow without going thru the top teeth.

2, It will be more difficult to silicon acrylic to glass, but it can be done. See 1, above.

3, you can use sandblasting technique to cut teeth on smoked glass. Do a search, I think someone present pic on a thread here.

Good luck, and nice diagram, BTW.

nekomi

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the quick reply!! I'll look into the sandblasting. Yeah, as you said, my main concern is leakage from the main display to the overflow. I really appreciate your input!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the flow rate, you maybe able to eliminate the leakage problem with a stand pipe setup.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clamped.jpg

I did the same thing with an external overflow. I love the nice clean look of the tank.

If you do choose to go with the baffle, make the outside silicone joints nice and clean. on the inside, just goop it on and make sure you have a good coat between the acrylic and the glass. It should help. When I did my old 20 with a corner overflow, I just piled on the silicone in the bottom corners.

If you're not going bare bottomed, you can get away with a little bit on the ouside of the box as well.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: