• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hawaiiguy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting a new 50 gallon for a small reef setup and I'm wondering how to make a stand that is strong enough to support the weight.
My biggest worry is that the stand will be wobbly. I have the basics as far as tools go (skil saw, drill, sander, clamps) and I'd consider myself moderately proficient when it comes to DIY woodworking. Should I start with a 2X4 frame, then sheath it with plywood? What sort of joints and fasteners would be the strongest? How should the base of the tank be supported?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :D

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<-- planning on building one only a little bigger in the near future... I plan on overcompensating for the weight by using "inside legs" made of 4x4s then bracing them with 2x4s. in an X on the back and framing it around the same way. I'll probably use 1" pine or oak (depending on cash at hand) to make the outside with.

B.

hawaiiguy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to use nails, screws, bolts, etc?

I was thinking of x-bracing as well but I've never done it before. Are there particular methods that work/don't work?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to skin the outside of the frame with ply, don't worry about the x bracing. you can tack one in to keep the frame square untill the glue on the outside dries.

I built my stand for my 20 out of 2x4's, 2x3's and 1/4" oak ply.
backtank.jpg

The crossbrace you see was just to hold it square as mentioned above.

here's more pics.

www.bad-coffee.com/reef/stand

B

hawaiiguy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, you've given me some good ideas to start from. Do you usually have to pay for special 2X4's and 2X3's that are perfectly straight? In my experience, when I've bought standard 2X4's they are usually curved or warped slightly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: