• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this is enough power?
Fishroom has 2-30amp lines
1st line has 14 outlets, 2 controled by a switch, and GFI protected
this line is for a FO system and a softie system
2nd line has 20 outlets, 4 controlled by switch and 2 GFI, one to the sump room and one in the main fishroom. This line is for my 300 display and sps grow outs. The old fishroom only had 8 outlets and a ton of power strips. Trying to avoid that this time.

Also while I have you thinking about power. Tell me why I should use the $50 hardwire timers for my lights instead of the $5 plug ins? I see alot of pics of people using the hard wire way. Why?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the contractor has the paperwork. Don't know about IL, but here in CA, there are a lot of fake electric contractors without license doing thing without permit, etc.

If he knows your requirement, I am sure it is enough.

The main reason for the hardwire timer is the better quality. In most cases, the better QC does not justified the 10X in price unless it is for high current application where you just can't get any plugin. Another reason is space issue. hardwired timer (depends on model) can take up much less space, but it is not always true.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contractor??? permit??
I did the work myself. This is my third home, and third fishroom. I've done the plumbing and electrical in all of them, with out issue.... well except the time I didn't turn the power off and shocked my self so bad I chared my hand, 8O . Now I always turn off the power.
I used water tight conduit and oulet boxes for wet locations. It costs a lot more to go that way, but since the fishroom will have close to 1000 gallons of water when completed I think it is worth it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob,
Asking if 2 30a runs are enough for a fish room is like asking if 5 gallons of gas is enough to get to boston. There's lots of info needed that isn't listed!

You know what you're doing, so add up all the amps from everything you're putting in there, and make sure you have a bit of extra for 'just a little addition!' I think 60 amps should be okay for most fish rooms. But if you're running 1000w halides, you're going to eat up that power quick!

I'm a big fan of the little digital timers. $20 or so, and they're better than the $5 plug in. They use a lot less power than running a motor 24/7. You just wire them into a seperate recepticle box.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isin't there some bit in the code about only having 6 receptacles on a circuit?

Not sure but I am pretty sure its there

Of course if you are doing your own home and not selling it in the future then who cares, wire away!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's face it. What else could a fish room be used for? Another fish room is about it. What else besides a darkroom would need water and that many outlets?

So he's gonna have to remodel the fish room before sells the house anyhow!

B

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok did the math and I should be fine. I still have 2 open slots on the braker board and another 2 that were planned for the rec room side of the basement, which I could more than likely get by with 1. As for the number of outlets on a line, don't know about the code, and it's pretty laxed out here in the corn fields, but to Bingo's point I'll have to remodle before I move, and the wife promises it wont happen again. But that is what she said at the last house. And yes I had to remodle that one quite a bit. So I am calling the electrical work done, and moving on.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the same

I have more than 6 on a circuit here too, and if I go to sell the buyer can damn well sort the mess out....

:D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: