• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gborrillo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own sump using Melev's Model E as my model. Basically, from left to right, I have the skimmer section, baffles, the return section in the middle and the fuge on the right side.

My question is does anyone have a drawing of what the plumbing for this should look like?

I read a few posts that said you should put a gate valve on your return pump and drain that to your fuge, but I just wanted to see if that is correct.

What I think is the way to go is that I install a T to my return line - one to the skimmer and one to the fuge. The skimmer pipe would be 1in and the fuge would be 3/4. Then water from the skimmer would end up in the middle, and the water from the fuge would overflow into the middle as well (with teeth). Then I would have a Mag in the return section with a T installed that would essentially drain back into the fuge (controlled by a ball valve) to prevent too much water from coming back into the tank.

Is this correct? Anything I am missing???

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't looked at Melev's yet and I don't have a drawing, but I can tell you how I'm setting mine up.

My return pump is plumbed straight back to the main tank and has a ball valve so I can dial back the flow if it's too much.

The main tank has two drains - one straight to the skimmer section, the other has a tee with valve on both sides - One tee's to the fuge section and the other to skimmer section. The idea is, if the flow from the drain is too much for the fuge area, you can adjust via the valve - but rather than just reducing the flow, the tee allows the remainder to go the the skimmer section.

Hope that helps - it's not finished yet, but may be able to get some photos.

Rick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: