• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jordanphulet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an Aquamedic HQI pendant; I'm not going to be able to hang it from the ceiling so I'm building a hood to hang it from. Here it is so far; let me know what you think, any input would be appreciated.
hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg
[/img]

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Hey I have one of these EXACT same pendants on my 39G reef tank and I love it. I also built an open top open back hood for mine (although mine does hang from the ceiling.

Is the metal bar going to be stable enough to handle any sway that the pendant may dish out WHEN you bump it?

ALSO, how are you going to maintain your tank without taking the pendant AND the hood off? I would reccomend finding a way to keep the light in place.. I'ts just a hassle to unplug and move everything. IMO

If you haven't had the pendant up and running for a while yet then I should tell you that these things get HOT. There are no internal fans, and everything about it gets hot.. the housing, the wire connectors... everything. I raised my tank temp to 92 degrees when I first got it in only 7 hrs! I managed to get around the temp by making an AC vent blow down on it :) (just happened to be in the right place). I'll try to post a pic of the canopy that I fabricated when I get a chance. I think you'll like this lil pendant.. has been working great for me. The only complaint I have is that the 20K bulb that comes factory set in it is VERY YELLOW for a 20k. I recently replaced mine with a 14K Blueline and am MUCH happier with the appearance.

Good luck!

B.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: