• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jimk0157

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together a 75 gal reef system (trying to be frugal) and was wondering if anyone has built a 48" hood with only one metal halide bulb to save cash.

It seems to me that since the cost for 175 watt and 400 watt bulbs, ballasts, etc. are about the same, that you could simply have one 400 watt bulb instead of the usual two 175 watt bulbs in a hood and use a specially designed reflector to spread the light around.

For the reflector, I envision a wedge shaped mirror directly under the single bulb to bounce the light back up into the hood's reflector.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim,
Welcome to RDO!

Most people with 4' tanks go with two lights. if you put one in the center of the tank, you tend to get dark edges- Most reflectors don't cover that distance. As you do your research, if you find a tank with one MH lamp, take a look at the outside edges. You'll definately see a difference.

If it's initial setup cost you're trying to avoid, check out the for sale sections. I've seen lots of MH setups for sale.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: