• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever put a closed loop pump on a shelf in their stand? Shelf is 1/2 in ply. I'm wondering if there will be too much vibration if I do this. It sure would free up some space though!! I'm planning on using a mouse pad under the CL panworld pump I have. Suggestions.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that alot of folk put them on shelves on the back of the stand to reduce head pressure. I would think that you will get the same vibration issues regardless of where your pump is. Just make sure the shelf is securely mounted and you will be fine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting it on a shelf shoudl be no problem. Just make sure you have it isolate lke you are planning. You may want to consider doubling the mouse pad.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to relocate the CL pump to the shelf and double up on the mouse pad. This will allow me to make a sump that covers the entire bottom and have my CL pump, CA reactor, and skimmer on the shelf above. It'll also allow me to put in some baffles in the sump. Since my stand has about 8" x 5" of space at the very ends I'm going to make a small elevated shelf for my CO2 canister. Fitting everything in there is like a jigsaw puzzle. I think it will also clean up my plumbing a bit too :D .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider is that you don't want the CL pump to have to 'pull' water up into its intake.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John Henry- No, the CL pump will be fed from the tank directly to the pump intake and then right back up to the tank. I used 1" pcv everywhere and the lines don't go below the CL pump at any point, so I don't see "pulling" as being a problem. However, moving the 1100 gph pump up 1' 3" may be a problem. I might have to throttle it back by adjusting my ball valve on the return. Until water is in the tank....[/img]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: