• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

PikachuSalad

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an existing acrylic canopy over an acrylic (48") 55g tank. There is probably about 7" between the top of the canopy and the top of the tank. There are 4 fan holes in the back of the canopy.

I was looking at a 4X65W CF fixture like this one:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/pro ... 843;pcid2=

Will a fixture like this be too hot for what I have described above?
Will I need to put anything between the retrofit kit and the acrylic canopy?
It has been suggested that I have the fans blowing INTO the canopy (so the humid salty air doesn't ruin the fan), is this right and should I leave one hole open for air to get out, or maybe put in more holes?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have the fans blowing in. IMO that fixture will be fine against the acrylic. Acrylic needs pretty high temps to bend...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an story from me.... I was able to fuse two pieces of acrylic togeter (an acrylic tank cover, and my first reef tank, a 40 gal hex) by putting a CF lamp (Light of America) too close to the tank cover. Luckily, the cover comes apart with a screwdriver, but after that, I make sure the lamp never touch any acrylic directly.

PikachuSalad

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....thanks for your responses...this has me a bit worried.

Seven, how many bulbs and what wattage? Was the bulb TOUCHING the acrylic?

Does anyone else have an acrylic canopy with CF/PC lights?

What I was thinking was getting a piece of something...heat resistant...(ideas?), and mounting the reflector to that, and then mounting the whole thing to the top of the canopy - that with 4 good fans should keep things from warping or melting...I hope.

Any ideas on a material to use, and where to get it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, it is one of those 65W LOA quad bulbs. Yes, it is touching the acrylic cover, with a foil above the lamp. It is back in the starving student days, you know... :oops:

As long as the contact temperature does not go above 200F, you should be fine. Make sure the fan is working, otherwise, the canopy may not be square for very long if there is distorting force on it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: