• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In varous threads I've seen folks reference the "nasty stuff" in pvc cement. What's the general consensus on this? Is it important to somehow flush freshly glued piping out before using?

In the past, I've given no consideration to this. I just glued up pipe and immediately plugged it into the system. I've never witnessed any distress on the fish or otherwise ill effects on the reef, at least not in the near term.

What do you all recommend?

Thanks
Hal

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it good and dry, I don't think there is any harm.

Of course if you use two quarts to glue sand to your starboad faux bottom, then you probably better rinse it off real good before you use it.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nasties are VOC, volatile organic compounds. They get into the air really fast, so when dried, there is not much in the plumbing to be flushed.

Most of these VOC has a long term effect on organism. Maybe the reason we see some weird clown fish in the hobby lately is due to this issue... ;)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the cure time on my cement is about 2 hours. So I think you're saying that it should actually be good to go after that time, right?

VOC - I guess that's why they say to make sure you do it in awerll ventilated area. My wife hates it when I glue inside the house.

and...no leaks so far! Threaded and glued! :D

Thanks guys,
Hal

SavetheReefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have waited as short as 3 minutes to allow cure time. And I have also had glue go straight into a sump with no ill effects. When I run drains and other plumbing that is not uder pressure I usually use liquid teflon. If it leaks I would stop the flow through that pipe, clean it up, glue it, and start her up back again within minutes. And they do make a low VOC glue if you are worried. Another thing to think about, every plumbing of every home I have owned or looked at there is no sign of glue, let alone primer on the pipes. I make sure to use both everytime and I always have the glue coming out the seam.

SaveTheReefs

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...And they do make a low VOC glue if you are worried.

The adjective "low" is a relative term. There are still a lot of VOC in there.

SavetheReefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is calling a 90 year old person old. Is he really old compared to a adult Redwood.

What was your point???????????

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is that there is significant amount of VOC (around 50%) in there that the handling should be the same as regular solvent.

SavetheReefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all I said that there is a Low VOC glue. And I do not know where you came up with this 50% thing but that is way way off.

Normal PVC glue contains 650g/l
Low VOC glue contains 510g/l

SaveTheReefs

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 liter is 1,000 ml, and for hobby purpose, let say that 1ml is very close to 1g. So there is 1,000 gram in one liter. For most non-chemist, 650/1000 or 510/1000 is pretty close to 50%, unless you want to use 2/3 for the normal VOC. I don't usually use anything more than one or two significant digits when talking about reef casually.

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had a problem with semi-dry PVC cement being used. PVC itself gives out a chemical that disrupts the endocrine systems in fish >>>> bis2-ethylhexyl phthalate...so whats a little VOC gonna do?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just that the BEHP is a low-dose, long term issue, while the VOC is a high dose, short term issue. The VOC will just gas off if you run water thru wet cement, but IMO, I will wait an hour or so if I can help it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: