• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Only the bottom 4" has to hold water, but I want it to be rigid enough so that doors etc will work nice.

48x24x48 total.

Also I heard that 3/8 actually runs in a range of sizes, from ,320 to .375+. Anybody know if there is truth to that?

It will be cast, FWIW.

A

Anonymous

Dude

Whatever happened with you cutting the doors?

Did that go horribly awry and now you are asking what size to make the new pieces from?

Oh Horrors I hope not....

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess the 3/8" would be fine but you might want to ask James (Acrylics). That said, I just looked on http://www.mcmaster.com/ and the 1/2" thick sheets (cast acrylic, clear) in 48" X 48" were actually cheaper than the same size sheet in 3/8". Strange but true...

Anyway, apparently with any cast acrylic product there is thickness variation in the manufacturing process. Stuff listed on the McMaster site usually shows the tolerance range.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry Knucklehead! I'm prone to asking numerous stupid questions all over the place before I do anything.

I still haven't even ordered the stuff. I'll probably do that tomorrow. I'm still having trouble swallowing that the place is 25 minutes from my house, but they won't let me pick it up there. $95 delivery.

Hey Chris- you are sure you weren't comparing a 4x4 with a 4x8. If not that is odd. Leaning towards 1/2 all around.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1/2 on McM is cheaper because it is not static-dissipative. Not that it does anything for a vivarium, but you are paying more if you get the thinner material.

For a 4 feet wide tank, the 3/8 does flex a little if you press it hard (say putting 100 lb of force on it.) but I think there is no need to go with the 1/2 material in your case since the water is so shallow.

The thickness does varies a bit, and they usually short-change you (give you thinner one more frequently than thicker one), but I did not have enough experience to say if that is true or not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just ordered the plastic in 1/2 inch.

Now I'm getting worried because it weighs 100 lbs per sheet, meaning my viv will be 200 lbs. I didn't realize it would be that heavy. I hope its not too difficult to work with.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weight sounds right, 1/2" weighs 3lbs/sq ft so 64 sq ft should weigh 200lbs +/-.
The main reason most materials run thin is that they now run on the metric system. 1/2" by most mfrs is not actually 1/2" but rather 12mm which is actually .472". The cell casting process produces materials with varying thicknesses but .450" is typical for <ahem> 1/2". I've always looked at the metric thing as a price increase without actually calling it a price increase. That said, most acrylic materials will run thin, even 1/4" (6mm or .236") extruded material will usually measure .225.-230 so CK - you are correct in thinking they shortchange you a little.
BTW, the only US mfr that hasn't gone metric is Spartech Polycast.

Good luck with your project :)

James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad that they go metric. But just like going from a quart to one liter, the seller usually win. Is this a French conspiracy :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: