• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

OK, so I finally glued together my 24x48x48 (1/2 inch acrylic) vivarium this weekend. It came out well, but it wasn't that critical as only the bottom 4 inches will hold water.

The weldon seemed to flow into all the joints really nicely, but after drying left a fair amount of bubbles etc that I can't get more weldon to go into.

I'l like to reinforce the seal around the inside bottom edge- can I somehow run a "bead" of thicker weldon or something?

If I can, which # weldon is best for this and what is the appropriate applicator?

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld-on 40 is the best thing for this application. You'll need the small kit from your local plastics distributor, a small mixing tub such as old butter container, and a syringe (10 - 30cc, no needle) from lab supply store.

HTH,
James

rayman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just run another beed of what ever your using now on the inside of the seams

i have done that on a few occasion where looks are not important

just remember to water test it as a full unit for a few days with some water movement in htere, i also place new tanks on tissue paper then fill, any small leaks will show on the general area of hte leak

hope that helps some

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bead of 100% silicone always works too. That's what I'm going to do. I just finished using weld on 4 on my ~20 gallon custom. 5 minutes and 2 inches into the water test I found a spot that leaked. Not that I wasn't expecting any leaks :oops:

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And silicone won't work because...? The silcone won't adhere correctly.

I'm having the same problem right now with a sump I just made and others suggested using silcone for minor leaks.

Weld on 40 looks like a paste. How much of that stuff would you need to lay down to seal things up?

rayman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct

well spaulr, you live and learn :) not to take every thing for granted

like i said, if its not a viewable or critical that the seem is breat looking this works but is not always pretty

run another bead on the inside of the seam, draging your needle back words towards you if you see what i'm saying

let me try again

reaching in the tank put the needle tip away from you, put it in the seam, pulling backwards towards you, place some of your 'glue' in the seam

it may not be pretty but it works, a thinker 'glue' would be better i think, but i use the same glue as its what i have .. not going to buy another type for more of my projects are for me and the seams are not seen again for years :)

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rayman- thanks for your help. I'm an acrylics newb and now understand why acrylics pros charge what they do.

The other day, I used a needle applicator to make another pass of weld on 4 down the seam, but it's so thin I didn't see any noticeable change in the seam. A day later I ran a bead of weld-on 16 down the bottom seams. I'm going to fill it up again today. Hopefully, the weldon 16 did the trick. Thanks for your help.

rayman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when your wife tells you to cut down the costs of your hobby you do what you got to do ya know what i mean :)

np i'm no pro and acrylics may say somthign other then what i have ... hes the pro, i'm a diy on a bidget with only one type of glue :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thnaks all- I'll get some 40. Now if I can just remember who I order weldon from...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you posted pics of your progress anywhere Flabello?

I love the look of that dog by the way....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: