• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Well, I just got my endcaps and bulbs and wouldn't ya know they are a little too long. Are there any mods to the caps that might reduce the space needed. I would mod the canopy but it's only 1/4" oak vaneer so sanding away or chisling is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks!

Ace

caps.jpg

A

Anonymous

Did you make the canopy yourself, or it is commerically made?

Try to see if you can save space with a regular "tomb stone" in hardware store (cheap end cap for fl. lamp, that is, about $1 each). If you can get it to work, then you just have to do it without the water-proof end cap and use silicon to get the job done. If that still don't not fit, then you did not do a good job with the canopy, and need to mod. it a bit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! The canopy came out very nicely. It's just a hair too small. :)

40_new_1.jpg

A

Anonymous

looks good ace!

When you going to get around to filling that thing? 2010? :P

B

A

Anonymous

Bingo":1kfrr690 said:
looks good ace!

When you going to get around to filling that thing? 2010? :P

B

:lol:

Yeah it's taking a while. I do have water in it and 45 pounds of LR. So at least I've got the cycle going. I need lights!!!!

rock3.jpg

A

Anonymous

URI makes a 46.5" bulb. That's what I use on my 75G tank.

There is no way to trim anything off that end cap IMO.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Bingo wrote:

When you going to get around to filling that thing? 2010?

He and Len have a bet. The person who finishes their tank first has to post a nude photo of themselves in the sump. 8O

Louey

A

Anonymous

Before I hit the Depot for more wood I am thinking of a creative way to blow out the sides of the canopy to make room. My problem is what do I do to cover it without it looking like a piece of crap.

Attachments

• canopy_2_245.jpg
    canopy_2_245.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,539
A

Anonymous

Let the caps poke out and then box them in with "handles"...

A

Anonymous

Andy_":1kbo1zao said:
Let the caps poke out and then box them in with "handles"...

I was thinking of that and I can say I did all of this for ventilation. ;)

The important question is will my reef brothers and sisters see through this and shun me. Will they?

A

Anonymous

Whattya think Andy?

With a little bit of help from Photoshop I think I have a fix. Let's just call them handles. :)

canopy_fix.jpg

A

Anonymous

Now, SA, your photoshop skill is still not perfect. Next time, try to get the perspective correct by rotate the handle slightly and use a different texture. ;)

Seriously, good call, Andy! I maybe want to use a slightly bigger piece of wood depends on the endcap diameter.

A

Anonymous

you could make a raised panel on both ends. Not just a handle, but a cutout that matches what the front doors will eventually look like.

Nice to see there's some water in the tank!

B

A

Anonymous

Put them at a slight angle. No one wil ever know if you do not show them.

A

Anonymous

Wazzel":1oofpub1 said:
Put them at a slight angle. No one wil ever know if you do not show them.

Even at a slight angle it really doesn't work. The standoffs are making it even more difficult but I want to use them and that's why I think I'm going to mod the cab.

A

Anonymous

Man you crack me up Ace

Bwahahah

My box is too small....

I can't fit my tube in my box cause its too tight......

:lol:

Do what Bingo said, put a raised panel on the two ends to match the doors you are making.

And put two raised panels on the front of the canopy too, then it will look balanced.

Then ask Len to delete this thread so none of your fellow reefers will shun you.......

A

Anonymous

Could you drill holes like Andy was suggesting and then place another piece of ply over the ends? That is, instead of adding handles cut new sides to fit over the old ones.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: