• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone built and used the skimmer design that is in Calfo's book, also refered to as Nelson's? It is a basic counter current that I am considering building. My plan is to use 4" pvc and have 2-3 in series for a system that will be 300-500 gallons. Not sure yet how many systems I will plumb together

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made one but am having problems making bubbles. I'll let you know when I get it figured out and would be willing to help you.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'l combine calfo's design, snailman's, one I found on aquariacentral, and oz's site. I just need to deside how many tanks will be on this system so I know how big to make it. As of now I think it will be my 220, 125, 2x75 plus sump in the 200gal range. so I will be doing something for 700 gals....thinking two 8" skimmers that are 6' tall.

magicman76

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What air pump are you planning on using? wich air stones?
the air pump it takes to drive a few of these things makes me thing a becket would be worthwhile.. JMHO though..

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a piston air pump, not sure which one though. Otherwise I would need something like a luft pump on each and that would get too much. As for airstones I think I will be going a DYI route there too and make them out of basswood. As for a becket, I have an AeroFoamer that uses a becket and I think they are great skimmers, BUT I have been reading a lot on line, plus Calfo's book and Escobal's and I have come to the belief that counter current with a slow flow on a tall skimmer is the best way to go. For a becket to work properly the water flow has to be so quick that some of the stuff isn't getting stripped away. While I look at these high end skimmers and see the skimmate, and it is good, I am struck by the science that is put forth in Escobal's book.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more I think about this and do the math for the cost I might go with some recirculating type pump to off set the air stone cost. At some point I am guessing that this would cost out to be cheaper. 10x what ever pump vs a large air pump, plus 30-40 stones every couple weeks. Maintanice would be much easier too.

magicman76

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ack.. didnt mean to discourge you.. sorry..
Ive just recently seen corilife has new more powerfull compression pumps.. I would try one of those and get some of the sweetwater fine pore difusers and let it rip..
the pumps run from 40-70 bucks from what Ive seen..
and the new glass difusers dont need the constant maintance (they dont requre as much backpreasure either) then the wood stones.. some are getting about a year out of the stones then you can clean them in a muratic acid bath.. :P
Ive seen some newer experiments with airdiffusors that has make it a worth while project IMO..

magicman76

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: