• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, they (Detlec and other EU companies that use Eheim as needlewheel pump) have modified the impellar cover for it to work. I can supply you with pics of the one that they use, if your serious about this. It won't be that easy to do, they molded their own, and machined it after doing that. The needlewheel would be a breeze to mold, but that cover will take some major work and forthought to do.

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very expensive...

Most people including myself have opted for the 'Poor Man's Eheim' ... aka the Oceanrunner which can be bought at Premium Aquatics rather cheaply.

This might change your skimmer design however...as the real forte of the OR pumps is to work on taller skimmers...they handle the back-pressure much easier. They dont perform as well as the Sedras and Eheims on shorter skimmers...but get a OR 3700 or two on a skimmer that is 3-4' tall...and they outperform almost every other NW pump out there.

RandyStacyE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH lets see some pics!

I've played with trying to mold a Euro-Reef needle wheel before and even contacted some plastics companies RE: them and they all said that they are definitely an injection molding part for mass production.

I've looked into vacuum molding ~ appears the pins won't mold properly.

I've tried a couple methods myself and molding was very difficult for me. I ended up trying to make one out of a 3M bristle disk.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RandyStacyE":98oqigwm said:
I ended up trying to make one out of a 3M bristle disk.

Which type of 3M disc did you try (see pics)? How did it work out? I've always been curious as to how they would work for DIY needlewheels...

Attachments

• 3M bristle discs.jpg
    3M bristle discs.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 3,365
  • 3M roloc discs.jpg
    3M roloc discs.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,370

RandyStacyE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the yellow one, not the wheel type, but the disk. I only got as far as reducing the diameter of the disk, shortening the bristles and drilling a small guide hole in the center. I have some ideas and will definitely post the results as soon as it is completed. I have a standard impeller to stick it on (that came with my pump) but I will first have to grind away the paddles on the impeller.

The cool thing is I purchased a Euro-Reef needle impeller to measure from so that will make it easier to ensure a perfect fit and I can compare their performance when I’m done.

RandyStacyE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another idea I have been tossing around. How about modifying one of these to fit an impeller and gluing “Battle Ship” game pegs (or something similar) into the holes.
Servos.jpg

These pieces are typically attached to RC car servos with linkages to operate steering mechanisms, other remote controlled devices etc....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1422.jpg

The NW is injection molded, but the bottom half appears to be stock. I would think they get the magnet assambly from Eheim and out their own NW on it. You can't really cut a stock one down with out a lot of hassle.

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

This is the cover they made. It's deeper inside, proably to allow for a bigger NW. It appears to have been IM then retooled a bit for greater under cutting.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the blurry pictures, I can't find the good set right now :(

RandyStacyE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That needle wheel looks almost exactly like a Euro-Reef NW.

I'm sorry guys, but I can't in good conscience modify my pump's impeller without first finding a reasonably priced replacement impeller just in case. Everyone wants like $30.00 for it and I can buy a Euro-Reef NW for that ~ what's up with that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RandyStacyE":139uyvim said:
That needle wheel looks almost exactly like a Euro-Reef NW.

I'm sorry guys, but I can't in good conscience modify my pump's impeller without first finding a reasonably priced replacement impeller just in case. Everyone wants like $30.00 for it and I can buy a Euro-Reef NW for that ~ what's up with that.

IMG_1475.jpg

ER NW

IMG_1430.jpg

Deltec Eheim

They look the same, but the pin count, pin thickness, plate thickness, pin height, plate diameter, etc. are all different.

This one looks different though :D

IMG_1700.jpg

Aquamedic Ocean Runner

IMG_2039.jpg

Bio Ball NW for Maxijet 1200

RandyStacyE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH

That ER NW, what size Sedra is that one for?

I ask because I built a skimmer and ordered a Sedra 3500 NW impeller from Custom Aquatic. When it arrived it did not fit the pump, it was too big. I know for a fact that what I recieved is not for a 3500, but it fits perfectly in a King-4 pump.

I would love to know which impeller I have for future reference. Mine has 70 pins and looks identical in size as yours.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: