• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Any problem using plexi/acrylic for sump baffles? Should it be glass to glass?

A

Anonymous

It'll work fine for baffles since the connection doesn't need to be waterproof or permenant. Just use silicone to glue the baffles in place.

Silicone is not rated to make a permanent bond between acrylic and glass. In fact, there is no such glue/caulk that will do that.

For the purpose of baffles in the sump it will work fine.

Make sure you get the caulk that is for doors/windows not the kind that is for kitchen/bath. The kitchen/bath kind has a mildew inhibitor in it that is not good for aquariums.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Louey. I was thinking of using aquarium silicone that can be found at HD. Is the stuff you're talking about the same thing?

A

Anonymous

Basically the same. Aquarium silocone is more expensive, but if that gives you piece of mind it might be money well spent.

FWIW - I used the cheaper stuff on my 300G with no ill effect. I think is was made by GE.

Louey

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the thread is in this forum titled baffles. Who ever did it was showing how they glued spacers to the side of the tank to help support the bafles. GREAT IDEA as the baffles on my 75 gal sump buckled and let go under the pressure and flow that was in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: