• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, temperatures are dropping here and my tank temps are getting a little colder than I would like.

I have a couple 500W titanium heaters that crapped out on me. The controllers basically just fried.

I still have them and was wondering if it would work to just put a plug on the end and use a Ranco controller to turn them on and off.

Does the element itself cause the resistance to limit it to 500W or would I need a transformer of some sort to limit the power going to the element?

Or is this just crazy and I should just go buy a couple new ones?

Thanks for any input.

Nathan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some new ones IMO. The controllers fried for some reason.....

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the controllers fried because they got wet. In the winter the humidity in my shed/greenhouse is about 125% and it basically rains in there.

I now keep my electronic stuff covered with plastic but then I didn't.

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I pulled them out and plugged one in and it worked!

Put my hand in the water and no shock. Went back to check on it a few minutes later and the power cord had melted off the heating element and it was smoking under water with a live power cord. I have no idea why it didn't trip the breaker but it didn't.

Unplugged it and threw them both in the trash. Guess I'm buying some new heaters tomorrow.

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the heater was in a tank with 2 rose bta's a pair of maroon clowns and a gigas clam and all seemed perfectly fine when it was happening and look fine now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: