• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Yes. The one-step stains+vanish combo is not worth the time saving that the sale-pitch says.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice guys. Here are some more pics of the stand. I used a jig saw to cut the upper and lower panels. 1/2" ply. Should I use nails or screws for the top and bottom? Nails look like they should be fine...but.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya... Those are some big pics. :lol:
I would use nails only for simple shear value. With the weight of your stuff on there the likeliness of nails backing out is nonexistant. Also the guys are right about the one part stain varnish. Also, dont use quick dry varnish. It will cause more problems than anything.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some normal size pics.

Attachments

• stand_small006.jpg
    stand_small006.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,419
  • stand_small005.jpg
    stand_small005.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,416
  • stand_small004.jpg
    stand_small004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,413

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give up with the pics. I think I'm going to search for abetter photo editor because the adobe one I'm using is wayyyyy to complicated.

Thanks everyone for your help. When I get the side panels and front done I'll post again. It might take a week or two as my friend "who has every tool imaginable" is out of town for a bit.

Maybe I'll start working on the Closed Loop part of the project. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...It might take a week or two as my friend "who has every tool imaginable" is out of town for a bit.

How did you manage to get a friend like that? Can he/she be *my* friend? ;)

Yeah, you need to downsize the pic a bit. Remember to edit the pics above when you get them ready.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I have done with the stands I have made is to use silicone caulk and seal all the joints. Where wver two pcs of wood touched I gooped it up. The reson is I had a stand years ago that I was ripping apart to reuse the wood and there was some funky mold between the two pcs that where used for legs. Now I seal it up. For the little bit of time and cost it's worth it IMO

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob Top-

Thanks for the advice. I had seen a few other people do that along with painting/staining to protect the wood. I was planning on doing it only on the bottom shelf, but might do it everywhere now.

minibowmatt

Thanks for the link!!!

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just painted the stand with marine paint - cough....hack...dizzy 8O . It was especially cool when the boat shot owner told me California was trying to ban that type of paint due to carcinagins. Comedy. I always knew Saltwater tanks were hazardous :D .

Going to seal joints on the inside with caulk tomorrow. Will post pics when done.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if you want too...

On the right hand side of your posts there is an edit button. You can click that and edit your post with the huge pictures in them and delete those attachements.

The stand is looking good.

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job on the editing! You can always download your pics to Reefbucket.com and link to them there. It is a free service by a fellow reefer. You will not get any spam emails or pop-ups like you do on photobucket either.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the Painted a caulked stand. White marine paint and white bathroom (anti-mold) caulk. I just wanted a good coating as no one will really ever see the inside but me.

Attachments

• StandPaint&caulk01 (Small).JPG
    StandPaint&caulk01 (Small).JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,331
  • StandPaint02 (Small).JPG
    StandPaint02 (Small).JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 2,327

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from working on my stand.

I bought 1 sheet 1/2" oak plywood and used pine 1x4 as trim. I wanted to use oak hardwood, but the trim alone would have cost more than the entire cost spent on the stand so far. I would have done it, but I need to buy lighting still.... I think I have enought left over to do a canopy :D

Next is to pick out a stain and then a good polyurethane. Then assemble the parts. It's kinda a jigsaw puzzle right now. Next post will have pics.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update. Just completed putting the finishing pieces on the stand. The front panel is held on by roller clips. The entire thing comes off. the panel is actually not installed, but propped up. I didn't realize it until I got home but the screws were 1/2". I need to get something smaller than that for the clips.

Anyhow, here are the pics.

Attachments

• Side_Raw (Medium).JPG
    Side_Raw (Medium).JPG
    27 KB · Views: 2,187
  • Front_Raw (Medium).JPG
    Front_Raw (Medium).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,191
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That came out pretty nice.

I like the whole front coming off, you can't get better access to the sump and stuff than that!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: