• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I want to build a box to do top-down photography.

My local acrylic place only carries extruded acrylic. Will that work for this application? How thick should the acrylic be?

Where do most people here get cell cast acrylic from? I want to get all my pieces cut to size, because I'm too spastic to make a decent cut. A man has to know his limitations!

This is also practice because I want to build a big acrylic vivarium.

A

Anonymous

extruded should be fine. For box less than 10 inch in height, even 1/8 acrylic will be fine.

A

Anonymous

My local plastics store carries both cell cast and extruded. They'll cut it for you too.

Just look in the yellow pages under platics, sheets, rods, tubes.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I did to make a viewing box without needing any cuts is I got a long piece of thin acrylic (can't recall size, probably 1/8" or so) use a blow torch to bend it into an exaggerated U shape |___| then just slap two sides on either side. After the weldon dries take a router and take off the overhanging pieces

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time Mike, ask to use my heat strip :D I've got a 33" :D

I did the exact same thing as Mike. Mine has a 1/16" bottom for less acrylic between the camera and coral. Walls are 1/8"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: