• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

owenz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating adding some jawfish to my tank. Because they are among the most accomplished carpet surfers in the fish world (i.e. jumpers), I'd need to cover the various gaps and holes in the top of my tank. This will be tricky, since I have a lot of stuff going into and out of the back of the tank. On the bright side, most of these gaps and holes are hidden behind my compact flourescent fixture, abutting the back wall of the tank, so an improvised cover would be largely invisible from most angles.

Some people have suggested using tin foil to "fill in the gaps," but I'd be very concerned about corrosion leaking into the water from the foil. I've already had a metal problem with an electronic thermometer (from Hellolights) leaching some funky stuff into my water. So I want to avoid other metals getting in there at all costs.

Any ideas? I'm looking for something plastic, sturdy, and flexible. Any home depot ideas?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggcrate, or window screening...

47b4d830b3127cceb042fd848d450000001610

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! Here ya go...

Attachments

• 47b4d830b3127cceb042fd848d450000001610.jpg
    47b4d830b3127cceb042fd848d450000001610.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 4,186

owenz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes. And readily available at home depot. Thanks.

Or I could just wrap the tank in plastic wrap each night.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people opt for the eggcrate due to air flow. The only downside to it is that small fish can occasionally hit the bullseye and still make it through the little openings... :wink:

Plastic wrap or foil will restrict air flow and can have a big effect on aeration/evaporation which can cause issues with overheating and/or pH levels. Even the window screening (get the fiberglass stuff if you go that route) can restrict air flow somewhat although it's not nearly as bad as plastic/foil.

owenz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about using some sort of netting. That would maximize airflow while giving the "tightest" fit.

owenz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people think about fish netting:

http://allwatersfishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=9718

I realize that gas exchange is the main concern, but the nylon is very thin and I don't think gas exchange is a problem.

The main advantage of netting is that it can provide an ultra tight fit for openings...and it was designed for the marine environment, so there's less of a concern about deterioration.

The main disadvantage is that - unlike window screen or eggcrate - it is harder to take off and put on the tank.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe if you use the eggcrate as a frame and put the netting over it you could eliminate the problem of installing/removing it.

glaze

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
owenz":1n0srhrk said:
What do people think about fish netting:

http://allwatersfishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=9718

I realize that gas exchange is the main concern, but the nylon is very thin and I don't think gas exchange is a problem.

The main advantage of netting is that it can provide an ultra tight fit for openings...and it was designed for the marine environment, so there's less of a concern about deterioration.

The main disadvantage is that - unlike window screen or eggcrate - it is harder to take off and put on the tank.

Sounds like it could be hard to secure without looking ugly and most importantly, could melt under metal halide lighting.

Why not just lower the water level a bit? I would think a lower water level is the best solution for jumpers.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to lower the water level a lot to make any real difference in regard to jumping fish. Not really a practical solution for a display tank.

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Pearly Jawfish a couple of years ago in a 10g. Came home from work one day and found it stuck to my tax return check on the desk! 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut plexiglass so it fit around everything that was going in my tank. It was a pia but it fit fairly close.

Then I took one of those blue filter sponge things that you get for canister filters and cut it up and stuffed it in all the remaining gaps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will need to come up with somehting for my 150 tank too since I am interested in jawfish.

My initial plan is to use a stainless steel wire frame (welding rods) and use those fabric that used on wedding grown to cover it. That or use one of those fine-meshed plastic sheet that people do craft and needling with.

I am not concern about airflow (big sump with skimmer), so I may end up cover the top with solid piece of acrylic.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a coupla more options to throw out at you guys:

Nytex netting (and the like) may work well, various grades of semi-rigid netting use mostly in commerical aquaculture. Can be made of polypropylene, polethylene, Nylon, and polyester. Openings as small as .015" to .5", most commonly .06" - .125" (1/16" - 1/8")

Peforated PVC may also work well, usually 1/8" thick but available in 1/16" thick PVC sheet with zillions of holes stamped into it so it's like 40-50% open. And yes, I do believe "zillions" is the correct techical term ;)

The idea of thaat needlepoint plastic sounds good and easily available at craft stores.

James

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than covering across the tank, you could go upwards and around the parimeter with a wall that the fish cant jump over. Thats what I did. I cut and SPARed strips of finish grade birch plywood that made a 8" wall that goes around the parimeter of the tank. That way I can still run the tank open-top with pendant halides, but not even my firefish can jump over the wall. And when I want to reach in I dont even have to open the hood>I just reach over.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two blue spotted jawfish in my 135 reef over the last two years. Both have taken the fatal leap of faith out of the tank. The first one went through the 1" holes in the corners where the electrical wires pass through for the powerheads. I found him nicely dried up on the top of the tank the next morning. Looked kinda like he had been smoked in an Indian smokehouse!

The second one I was more cautious with, especially since the little buggers cost around a hundred bucks a pop! I put duct tape over the holes to TRY to keep #2 from committing suicide. Much to my dismay, #2 had his own ideas. He would cruise along the top of the tank, eyeballing the lid to find his escape route. Sure enough, after about two weeks he found a minute gap in the duct tape. With pinpoint accuarcy, #2 flew the coop and came to his final resting place on top of my lights ballasts. Yep...He too was fish jerky the next morning. Two hundred bucks worth of fish jerky that I couldn't even eat! Never again!!!

The moral of the stories...If you're going to keep suicidal jawfish in your tank, make darn sure you have a bulletproof lid of some type on it. I like the idea of screens to help keep the airflow going.

owenz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I found the ultimate solution after I started this thread...another tank!

I purchased a 24-gallon Aquapod nano tank for my jawfish. Harry Houdini (or David Blane) couldn't escape from the thing...it's sealed tight all the way around.

Should have seen the look on my girlfriend's face when the box showed up on our porch. I figured it was safest to order the pod first, then tell her after it came...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: