• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just upgraded my aqualight pro 36" from 2x65W PCs to 2x96W PCs, boy, what a difference! Now I have 1 150W MH & 2 96W PC on my 40gal.! Just thought I would share this. :roll:

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'm getting quite sick of my 40 gallon acrylic and am going back to glass. Should have my new 50 gallon glass tank by the weekend. Do you all think that this will be enough light for a 50 gallon? But honestly, this DIY was the first really successful mod that I've done to my aquarium thus far. I don't know why those hoods come with 2 65W bulbs in the first place; there is plenty of room for the 96 watters. All you really have to do is replace the ballast.

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido88":1xnmfql5 said:
you should talk to spaulr

Does spaulr happen to have a 36" aqualight pro? I haven't seen many people on this forum that have one or that even like coralife products. I think this hood is pretty sweet and have had 0 issues with it.

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minibowmatt":2be4lc8o said:
what dont you like about your acrylic tank?

Sorry, but I don't think that it's what I don't like, I think it's what I do like (pretty much nothing). Not enough room for hob equipment, openings on top are too small for some pieces of live rock, if you look at the tank wrong it scratches, etc, etc. It might make a good sump though.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Spaulr is trying to figure out what kind of lighting to use on his 40G. I just figured you could help him with the pros and cons of your set up.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread and thought I'd ask a few questions....

I have a 40gallon plexi tank and am still deciding what to do about lighting.

Is the 150w halide and 2 96w enough light for your 40 gallon tank?

I was thinking about 2 175w halides and 2 96w VHO? Too much light?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Firefish--

I have the same light and would like to do the same DIY. How'd you do it? Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Firefish--

I have the same light and would like to do the same DIY. How'd you do it? Thanks!

fyrefysh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spaulr,

This modded hood gives me ~7 watts per gallon on my 50 gallon AGA which should be plenty to support the SPS coral family and is plenty bright enough to support most LPS and other corals with only the PCs on. I have no regrets buying this hood, it is HIGH QUALITY and well thought out. If I ever do get another aquarium, I would most likely purchase this hood again.

If you are planning on going over 10w per gallon, you may need to think about your poor electrical bill and you may have problems with some of the lower light corals like mushrooms and the like. I think that 6-8w per gallon is enough light for 90% of the corals in the aquarium trade and may be good enough for anemones as well.

JohnHenry,

It was quite an easy mod. I just opened the end up where the PC ballast resides, yanked it, and put a 2x96 ballast in there. If you need more help, please PM me and I will tell you exactly how to do it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ff,

Just realized that you used the 3' model. and mine's the 2' model (it spans one end of my 3.5' x 2' peninsula). So I don't think I could squeeze 36" bulbs into it. :oops:

BTW did yours originally come with 65w or 55w PCs?

Jh

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: