• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you have heard this a million times...

I was modifying my tank when...

I was adding a bulkhead to the back of my 40 gallon plexi tank to add a return for the 20 gallon sump I was making, when while drilling the hole water squirted out! WTF! Imagine my surprise since the tank has been dry for 2 weeks (cleaned it 2 weeks ago out of storage). I also found out that not 1 but 2 layers of 1/4" plexi were used in the back. 1/4" for the tank wall and 1/4" for the wet/dry sump(which I was doing away with).

The problem is clear...the built in sump is leaking somewhere and going in between the two panels of plexi. This was all fine and dandy until I went and drilled a hole for the return.

Sorry about the long post... My question is can I use some sort of acryllic "weld" material and some clamps to "weld" the two panels together where the bulkhead goes? Would this be strong enough given that a bulkhead is going to go there and the unknown leak?

Pics to follow.

Attachments

• DualPlexi001 (Small).JPG
    DualPlexi001 (Small).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,128
  • DualPlexi002 (Small).JPG
    DualPlexi002 (Small).JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,131
  • tank001 (Small).JPG
    tank001 (Small).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,128
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld-on should work no problem, I have sealed up holes I no longer wanted on a couple acrylic tanks with no adverse affects. I would put the "band-aid" on the inside though so the water pressure doesn't cause any issues.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!! That made my weekend. When you say "on the inside", where exactly do you mean? In between the two sheets of plexi? Weld those together with a clamp somehow? I'd still like to use the hole if I can. Sorry for the stupid questions, I have ZERO experience with acrylic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several options. The quickest and easiest one is to mount the bulkhead inside out, that is, the flange on the ouside, and the nut end on the inside. Cost you nothing, take no more time, and will solve the problem.

However, if you really want to get in the spirit of DIY, do the following instructions that will takes me 2 hours to type up. Let me know if you want this super-duper-neatest-monster DIY plan.... ;)

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, which "Weld-On" product would you recommed for this particular problem? There's a ton out there. Thanks again.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7-ephors. As long as you don't get Carpel tunnel syndrone :lol: I'd like to check it out

I thought about doing that with the bulkhead too, but I was afraid that somehow pressure might get in between the two sheets (since its already leaking) of plexi and really apply pressure on the bulkhead. I like breaking things once and fixing them once...well, not necessarily the breaking part :D .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just notice that this thread is not in the DIY forum, so I recant my offer of the DIY plan...

If you are concerned about the gap between the panels, you can put piece of acrylic of appropriate thickness between them around the hole you just drilled. This way, you can tighten the bulkhead without worry about too much bowing.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaulr, If you have any sort of handy man in you. You can fixit without a sweat. I am using my 30G DIY fuge as my display tank right now. No acrylic experience whatsoever. Just take your time and listen to the guys here. No worries. :D

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought about how I was going to get a piece of acrylic in between the 2 panels that would go all the way around. I guess I would have to cut 2 pieces in order to fit them in through the hole.

Would it be possible to use weld on and 2-3 mini-C clamps to "weld" the pieces together? Also, which weld-on product should I use?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Weld-On 3, 4, 16, or 40 but CK's idea of just using a bulkhead with the flange & gasket on the outside is the easiest, cheapest, and most foolproof IMHO. No worries about the pressure on the bulkhead.

HTH,
James

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Weld-on 16 for the job from a LFS. It'll be here monday. Amazing that no one around here carries any of that stuff - OSH, HD, hobby stores, zilch, nada.

I'm going to weld those 2 pieces together and then use a bulkhead with the seal on the outside just in case.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to order weldon from Cali, the east coast has NOTHING!

you can weld the two panels together no problem, however you need to make sure they are dry.

So turn the thing over so all the water in there seeps out...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what I meant by putting the bandaid inside, I mean inside of the tank, between the water the aquarium will hold, and the aquarium wall, NOT between the two layers of plexi. If you're worried about the plexi separating any further you can simply get your applicator with weldon (the clear liquid stuff.. I think it's #4) then simply try to squirt it between the two panels where you had your hole and see two separate panels. The capillary action should suck that stuff all throughout between those two panels.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the weld on 16 today from LFS. Squeezed a bunch of that around the two pieces of acrylic, squeezed, let go, and then clamped it with 2 C clamps for 2 minutes. I then moved the C clamps to opposite sides to make sure all sections of the hole were sealed. Man that stuff works fast! Took the clamps off after about 30 minutes. It looks pretty good to me. I'm still going to put the bulkhead inside out (rubber seal on outside of tank) just in case.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: