• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few weeks I have been slowly building a MH/VHO pendant to use over my 50G when it gets set up. I wanted a dual 175 MH with dual Actinic T12 size bulbs. I played around with different design ideas, but I finally settled on a simple shape, with a fulle length/width parabolic reflector. Currently it is set up with one piece waterproof endcaps and clips for 2 NO 24" URI actinics. If i get can get a VHO ballast I may switch up to 30" actinics, but I would need to get new endcaps, as the ones I have can't handle that kind of heat.
I made it from 18 Guage Sheet metal. I do not like working in metal, but whatever.. it had to be done. I welded the seams on the two ends, so I am hoping i didnt leave any pin holes and it will be light tight!
side.jpg

light.jpg

inside.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad looking man

What did you use to paint it with?

If there are some pinholes you can always put some body fill in them and repaint...

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, no fans. its a pendant, so Im hoping the 8-12" of airspace above the tank will be sufficient, plus the sump and all will be in the basement-- 59* all year round..

I painted it with several coats of a sandable primer, then Black laquer (spray). I will be giving it a gloss laquer(spray) topcoat this weekend. I though about going with a powder coat, but it would have been another 65$ and I didnt want to spend anything more on this.. In total it cost me about $160 (including ballasts/wiring/endcaps)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: