• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jjj010203

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, can someone explain to me how I can wire 3 computer fans to a 12v DC adaptor? I already have the fans and adaptor ready, I just dont know how to wire them together. I am preparing for the coming summer when the tank heats up and the mini fans available are just too big for my canopy. :wink:

thanks!

*edited*

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the computer fans AC power? Most are DC fans (check the sticker on them), in which case you need a 12V DC adapter.

jjj010203

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooops sorry! :oops: i just re-checked my adaptor and it is 12v DC not AC. The fans are also DC. :roll:

so, how can I wire these fans together to run with one 12v DC adaptor?

THANKS! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if the fans still have the 4 pin adapters on them to hook them into your computer power supply you can simply just hook them all together, then wire the adapter output to 2 of the holes that carry power (the other 2 don't do squat).

If you want to work with bare wires you can hook them up either in series or in parallel

Parallel will have all the reds connected, and all the whites connected, then hook that up to positive and negative of the power adapter

in series you hook them head to tail, ie power - red -- fan -- white -- red --fan2--white--red-- fan3---white-- other end of power.

I'd hook them in series because you can always run them at a lower voltage (they go slower) if for whatever reason in parallel all 3 draw more current than your power supply is putting out you could be in trouble. If they already have plugs then don't worry just plug them together (i think they're wired for series that way).

Now you can't really hook up the power wrong, if you hook it up one way they'll spin a particular direction, if you hook them the other way they'll spin the other direction, Which way you want them to spin may not matter, I doubt they put any sort of special slopes to the fans to be more efficient. Just make sure the side that blows air out is pointing towards the water :)

jjj010203

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS! :lol: :D :wink: :P

yes the molex connectors are still on the fans so i will just use those and connect to the adapter.

thanks again!

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i did was get a universal power adapter and the wire the fans together. then to the adapter... with a single molex connecter.... this way i could adjust the fan speed by selecting the voltage.... the adapter went from 3 volts all the way to 12.... just move the switch to up or down teh speed. a real easy setup.

jjj010203

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi!

how did you wire them? in a series or parallel? just to verify, did you wire the adapter to a molex as well in order to connect the fans to it?

thanks!

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
initially I wired them seperate. but the draw was so small I wired them together bought a two wire molez. and reconnected the whole thing. it worked great.....

I eventually found i only needed two fans so i took one out of the series....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: