• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had experience using a 55g standard glass tank as a sump? I appears to be the most cost effective large tank sump that will fit under a stand.

All comments welcome...

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see why not. The only thing that isn't incredibly great is the height. But I plan on using a 55G as a sump in the future for the same reasons as you...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now be careful and learn the distinction of what volume can fit under your stand, and what volume can be PUT under your stand. I've done this a few times where the area under the stand was more than adequate for the tank in question, but there was no physical way to get the tank in there due to braces in the middle or something which makes you wish you stayed awake in trig class :)

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Thats a good point. I can get it into the stand, but this is a 140, built in. Once in, its mostly permanent! I can squeeze it in from the end, but it will later be surrounded by framing. Here's a pic...

The center brace will have to be removed if it ever needs to be taken out of the wall. But I figure the tank is the same way...

Stand is 60x18x43

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Close up of stand.jpg
    Close up of stand.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,841
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a 60 gal acryl tank as sump, but that is because I already have it around, and I build the stand wide enough for it.

You glass sump should work. Can be a pain if you don't have enough space to work around or inside once it is inplace if you have a low stand like mine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the 55 tank in question? 3feet or 4? I have a long 50 (4 feet) but I"m unsure what the standard is for 55s. It might be an issue.

If you want to be sure simply use some throwaway lumber and build a rectangular box the dimensions of the tank and see if you can slide that in, that'll let you know if it's going to be a permanent fixture or not :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, I don't think you'll be able to get that tank inside that stand then (and be able to remove it if you need).

If you absolutely want it, what I would do is replace all those vertical pieces along the back (I assume that's the front I see?) and replace them with removable pieces. Basically the studs just floating vertically with metal brackets holding them that you can unscrew and remove one if need be if you have to remove the sump. Having atleast 2 vertical studs should more than adequately hold up against downward force if you remove one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make certain that the 55 doesn't leak before you frame it in.

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys.

The tank will definately go under the stand (inserted through end), BUT once in, it won't ever come out because this stand is going into the wall (the framing you see behind it). I am thinking about making the center support removable. Just in case. The key is keeping the stand strong enough, and clean enough because there will be cabinet doors installed.

Keep in mind the stand you see is part of a built in...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":3jdwgsbl said:
A 55 standard is 48x12x18.

Waz,

The All-Glass site lists the 55 as being 21 inches tall. Don't want to quibble but every inch might count.

Sincerely,
-Sci

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cbeitel,

I think the 55 will work out fine, but I've thought of a few more things that might affect your decision.

All of them revolve around the clearance for getting into the sump to service things when it is in place. You stated the stand is 43" tall. I assume that is from floor to the top of the plywood you plan to sit the show tank on. The working space inside the stand will be considerably less. Looks like you would loose 2" from the floor to the top of the plywood you plan on setting the sump on. Looks like you'd also loose 4" from the top. If the sump tank is 21" tall that would leave you 16" of working space to get things in/out of the sump. That might not be a problem, but it might be if you plan on placing a skimmer in the sump. Also, consider how well you will be able to access things in the furthest corner of the sump. My stubby little forearm is only 17" from elbow to finger tip. I'd have problems reaching the bottom and back corners of the sump.

Another consideration is the width of the 55 gallon - 13". Again you might want to consider skimmer dimensions.

Sorry if these seem like silly things to consider. You might want to stick your arm in the 55 and see how well you can reach things on the bottom and back corners. Hate to say it, but I'd probably sacrifice some volume and go with a 30 gallon breeder (36" long, 18" wide, 13" tall), or build something out of acrylic.

Sincerely,
-Sci

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sci-

Thanks for your input. I have gone away from the 55g standard. Mostly because its just too tall. I'm going to go with a 2-piece sump so I can easily remove and service if needed.

Now, I need to learn how to build a DIY acrylic sump!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SciGuy2":1qi9vmjp said:
Wazzel":1qi9vmjp said:

Waz,

The All-Glass site lists the 55 as being 21 inches tall. Don't want to quibble but every inch might count.

Sincerely,
-Sci

No problem. I was going from memory and it is not always that good.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":fny8hmwl said:
SciGuy2":fny8hmwl said:
Wazzel":fny8hmwl said:

Waz,

Sincerely,
-Sci

No problem. I was going from memory and it is not always that good.

Well, that's pretty good for going from memory. For me going from memory is a dangerous thing... :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gal high as a sump, I think the best thing about it is the height, even though its hard to clean and all because its so deep, bubbles tend to rise before they get to the end where the pump return is...

I realize your not using one now, just wanted to add that in.

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys-

I ended up modifying my stand so a 48" long sump can be installed/removed if needed.

Then I went to the plastic store and bought a 4x8 sheet of acrylic and built one.

Details can be found on my build thread below.

Thanks for all the ideas! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: