• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell me if you think all of this will run right . You have built your own skimmer and i will build this one but i had nothing to go off of so i dont know if it will run . and the filter will be a sand and live rock filter system can you tell me what you think on this to please . This will be a 75 or 100 gal. tank i have not made up my mide on this . i put in your diy sand bed and i have put a stand in the tank to put live rock on so it will be higher then the bed .

thank you for your reply if you do
Chris

Attachments

• new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 2.JPG
    new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 2.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,964
  • new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 3.JPG
    new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 3.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,963
  • new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 1.JPG
    new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,948
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pumps are you going to use and where will they be connected?

Louey

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ViaAqua® Economy Series fully submersible quiet, energy efficient and oil-free water pump. The compact design makes it an ideal pump for aquariums!

• Compact Design
• Energy Efficient
• User Friendly
• Simple Installation

3-Via Aqua 305
Saltwater safe, for larger applications.

GPH - 315
Max Head - 5 feet
Size - 3.35"H x 2.13"W x 3.43"L
Cord - 6' '
Outlet - ID Tube Size 1/2"
Only 14.95

and is the skimmer looking ok . I dont know if it will work right i have not done a DIY skimmer

Attachments

• via130.gif
    via130.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,957

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":1v089z0m said:
What kind of pumps are you going to use and where will they be connected?

Louey

redid the print with where the pumps will be

Attachments

• new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 1.JPG
    new tank blue print ,FT,SM,TK 1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,942
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the water would flow through you skimmer and back okay since the skimmer appears to be above the tank.

What kind of skimmer is this?

I don't see how the water would flow back to the tank from the filter since they are at the same level.

Louey

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i should put the filter high or lower and if i do . Do i have to use 2 diffrent pumps or can i use the same size

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to pump water into the filter, it'll need to be higher so that water can flow back to the tank. I'm not sure if your plumbing will work for the return lines. It seems that the return line from the skimmer will work, but that is hard to say too.

Your drawings are very impressive, but I'm not in your head and don't know exactly what you're thinking ;)

Louey

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think even using two exact same pumps and plumbing config. you may still run into a problem where one pump will outpump the other. Maybe plumb the tanks together with a bulkhead very low, that way you will get a good flow through it.

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":20hfx55n said:
If you are going to pump water into the filter, it'll need to be higher so that water can flow back to the tank. I'm not sure if your plumbing will work for the return lines. It seems that the return line from the skimmer will work, but that is hard to say too.

Your drawings are very impressive, but I'm not in your head and don't know exactly what you're thinking ;)

Louey

what about this one dose it look like it will work

Attachments

• tank upper filter with only 2 pump 1 skimmer and pump 5.jpg
    tank upper filter with only 2 pump 1 skimmer and pump 5.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2,925
  • tank upper filter with only 2 pump 1 skimmer and pump finished.jpg
    tank upper filter with only 2 pump 1 skimmer and pump finished.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,925
  • tank upper filter with only 2 pump 1 skimmer.jpg
    tank upper filter with only 2 pump 1 skimmer.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 2,924
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ought to work.

If you raised the skimmer and filter even higher and put the return pipes lower on them, it would probably work even better.

Louey

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks .

what would you say for the acrylic panels thickness for the skimmer and filter. I was thinking about 1/4" or 3/8" . It will only be a 20 or 10 gal. and the skimmer i was think 10 gal. with the cup about 10" high from the top of the skimmer box . I was think of useing 1/2" tube ( flex PVC ) do you think that will slow down the GPH on it or should I use a sizer 1/2" to 1" conecter like in the pic of the print

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":3l57yjrl said:
Your drawings are very impressive

Louey

I use it to do house blue prints a guy from this site gave me the name of it . I use 3D house disign for about 3 years before he gave me the name of this program . I like this one so much better you can do more then I ever thought you could . so I use it to do my tank blue print so I can see the stand and everthing before I build it . this program cost way more then the 3D house ( $100.0 ) this one is about $500.0 luckly I didn't have to pay for it the company did and I just copyed it and the reg. nub. was in my name so the copy write law will not matter .

i wish i could do a 300 gal ( the dollor is to high for me ) like yours that looks good do you have any updates on it .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting concept, but I still think you will have issues with micro bubbles from the skimmer and water capacity during power outage. The way you have it shown the tank is lower than the sump and skimmer so all the water will drain back there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waz is right.

Sometimes DIY is more trouble that it's worth. Especially when you are designing the whole thing yourself.

You can build this thing, but there is no way anyone can say for certain how it will work.

Louey

steene_c

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":15ql1oy3 said:
Interesting concept, but I still think you will have issues with micro bubbles from the skimmer and water capacity during power outage. The way you have it shown the tank is lower than the sump and skimmer so all the water will drain back there.

yes but have have placed shutoff valves on all my piping . and i work from home .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a tank right now. Here is my old 110. I am a keep it simple guy so nothing fancy.

7898_1073308519.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
steene_c":1ajwse9m said:
Wazzel":1ajwse9m said:

yes but have have placed shutoff valves on all my piping . and i work from home .

I am sure you have placed all the gizmo's that you need. I am a firm beleaver in not depending on mechanica devices unlesss absolutly necessary. Sooner or later one will fail, usually at the worst possible time, like when you are not home.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: