• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jschoon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just a bit confused with lighting measurements. I am looking to DIY my own cover and lights for my tank. My question is which is more important when it comes to lighting degees K or watts? I am just looking at many bulbs and I have found several that are the same degrees K but the watts are different. Just for instance a 10,000 K 10 W compact Flor or a 10,000 K 96 W compact Flor have me wondering which is a more powerfull light. Is the degree K equal with watts being how deep the 10,000 K penetrate?

Now to part 2, I am planning the new cover to house lights so I can eventually move from a FOWLR to corals, most likely SPS. I can design a cover around the light parts but what are the parts that would be needed? I am thinking that MH is most likely the best choice.

Thanks,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about the PAR, baby! :D

Photosynthetically
Active
Radiation

The "K" of a bulb is a measure of its color temp.. - Basically, at around 10K its a "white".. - At 20K its a "blue".. - At 6.5K its "yellow"..

In general, the higher the wattage the more PAR it'll produce. - And in general, the more "blue" thats thrown at corals, the better they retain their color (or possibly develop it if they didn't have much color to begin with.)

jschoon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GratefulDiver":1bk70r51 said:
Its all about the PAR, baby! :D

Photosynthetically
Active
Radiation

The "K" of a bulb is a measure of its color temp.. - Basically, at around 10K its a "white".. - At 20K its a "blue".. - At 6.5K its "yellow"..

In general, the higher the wattage the more PAR it'll produce.

Ok, that makes sense to me. just from the things I had read, I didn't think there was a connection.

Any suggestions for what to use in a DIY hood? IE, what to get and from where to get it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would go with a 175watt 10kk metal halaide with actinic's. I do not recall the dims os a 38. If it is longer than 30in you may need 2 MH fixtures or go with a higher wattage and raise the fixture.

jschoon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 38 is about 34 inches long and about 16 deep. I was thinking that if I start with one MH I could but in the middle over the rock and as money allows add the 2nd light.

Could someone explain how the ballist in the MH works and are there different sizes? I have worked with the ballist from a regular ceiling flour. fixture before, but from what I have seen thus far these MH units seem different. Any guidance is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the inner working, but the MH ballast are specific for each wattage.

azrednex

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a commercial electrician and this is probably more than you wanted to know, but a MH ballast and a FLOUR ballast work exactly the same exept for one more part in the MH system (a capacitor that helps the lamp start). Basically the lamps (bulbs) in both systems require way more voltage to spark than 120V, we're talking somewere between 2-5 thousand V. The ballast are basically step-up transformers, they take 120V and step up to 2-5K volts, BTW voltage and amperage are inversely proportionate so the amperage goes down as the volts go up. In both cases the lamp must be matched in Watts to the ballast.BTW Watts =Volts X Amps or a VA. If the ballast is rated much higher than the lamp the lamp will suffer from a premature burnout. If the lamp is much higher in rating than the ballast the lamp will often not light at all. I hope this answers some questions if you have any more feel free to post or pm. :D

kwirky

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the degrees kelvin is the light's average colour temperature. 6700k or so is daylight above water's surface. 10000k is under water about 3m below the surface? 14k is a little deeper. 20000k is water 30m deep or so.

if you want to get picky on colour temperature, you can match according to research done on what you want/what you are keeping. Or just match according to your own taste. Advanced Aquarist has an article on how PAR is far more important than colour temperature. a 4000k 62 PAR light photosynthesized almost exactly the same as a 10000k 62 Par light. And keep in mind the human eye is most sensitive to yellow/reds, so when changing bulbs, don't wait till they look yellow. When you can see it as yellow, it means it's not outputting ANY blues, and it's PAR rating is now at half.

a rough generalization is that 10000k lights are twice the PAR as 20000k lights, but need to be supplemented by actinics to look "blue" like most people want their lights looking. You can take a cheaper route, and get 15000k's like XM 175/250w. Very good bang for the buck considering how much you'd save on actinics (the way I'm going). Just keep in mind, you'll have no "twilight" period where you can have just your actinics on in the morning/evening as a transition period. Prevents livestock stress.
And about depth, PC lighting is at 50% at 16" deep.

MH is point light, so it loses brightness in a radial way. 175w/150w MH is 50% at 20-24" away, and 250w is 50% at 24-28" away. putting 175w light over your 38 tank means anything at the top, 6" from the sides is getting 50% less light. Anything at the bottom 6" at the sides is getting 75% less light. You should save the money for two bulbs, or run PC's to supplement the single MH bulb, which may cost more than 2 MH lights if you decide to use a good flourescent ballast...

check out this site when comparing bulbs/ballasts. it's great for looking at PAR ratings, spectral curves, and comparing a specific bulb's performance on various ballasts.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

as for a reflector, you could use two 15" PFO parallel reflectors. They're nice because they hold PC lights as well, in case you decide more lighting later (which you will heh), but dont' want to change your whole MH system.

The shallow depth front to back of your tank though needs a smaller reflector. If you go with QHI double ended lights, you could gut a halogen workshop light for it's enclosure, reflector, and socket. They're designed for 500w halogen lights so they'll easily handle a little 150w HQI. I can't remember though if it's the 250w lights or the 150w lights you have to modify the socket slightly for (the distance between the 2 ends).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: