• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 54 gal corner aquarium stand with a crack in the part of the stand where the aquarium sits right where the front bowd peice of wood is connected to the straight side peice ..was thinking of just cutting a 2x4 to legnth and wedging it between the top and bottom peices of wood to brace the stand where it is cracked ...could this be a long term solution or do i need to buy a new stand for this thing the crack is small i knew about it for a little while but no issues with the stand but the door on it seemes to be sticking
and i want to take care of it before anything bad happens like the tank falling off the stand 8O plz let me know what you guys think

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood is amazingly strong for taking compression force, but not if the force is at any other direction. Do you happen to have a pic of the damage? Most likely it ic repairable, but we need to see how and where is the damage to be sure.

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrmmm...i dont really have any way of posting a pic of it right now

ill try to explain it ..the stand is basically a tirangular box with a bowd front
on the top rim of the stand,the part where the aquarium rests the bowd front peice is seperated from the back peice at the joint where they were connected. the seperation is maby a 1/8 of an inch across ,i knew it was there when i bought the stand and i dont think it has gotten any larger since i bought it.....what led me to make this post was the fact the the door on the front of the stand was gettiong stuck when i open/closed it so i was thinking that this was due to the front of the aquarium sagging or getting lower but after i played with the door for a min i lifted it up and it swung freely so that kinda rules out the idea of the front of the stand sagging or loosing its ability to support the weight...but i think its prolly a good idea to brace it in some way just to be safe what do you think? thx for the info

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not real clear here. I understand the concept of the stand. Is this a crack in a piece of wood or a separation in a joint where two pieces of wood are milled together on a corner. Most stands are built with a base, a top(peice of continuous plywood) and trim, If you have a separation in two peices of upper trim you most likely dont have any worries.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: