• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Should I use the side tank for? (I'd need all 3, the losers will under-stand)

• Hospital/Quarantine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ccopepod Culture

• Frag Tank -- leave the pods and stuff under the stand?

• Total voters

vineta

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to upgrade from 55g to 100g!!! and adding a look-down tank for clams and a sea-horse tank.

The images are my plans in the DIY stand.

Still at the planning stage, what do you think?

:?: I have a question, though. This will be my 2nd time to ever manipulate wood in my life, and I am nervous!

Do you think that I should put in a center brace for my stand if the tank is 60" (5ft) long? Can I skimp on that if I use 2 4x4's for the front corners' vertical support, and 3 4x6's for the back?

I really hate how the center brace(s) get in the way now when I need to do anything with the sump, and that if it leaks -- for some reasons, my current one did TWICE in the past 2 years--I want to be able to pull it out!

Attachments

• upgrade100--top--08-22-06.jpg
    upgrade100--top--08-22-06.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 800
  • Upgrade100--plumbing--08-22-06.jpg
    Upgrade100--plumbing--08-22-06.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 801
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
comments:
1, the legs usually is not the reason you need a center. Wood has such a compressing strength that most of the DIY stand are over-engineered, but that is good. It is the size of the cross beams, and how much deflection your tank can handle. I have a 5 feeter, and I DIY'ed it with a removable center front leg. You may want to consider that.

What kind of clam do you want to put in the lookdown tank? What lighting arrangement are you planning for that tank?

BTW, most importantly, welcome to RDO! :)

vineta

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you CK for the reply!

I have a blue and a purple crocea right now, and am researching about cultured maxima :) another thing that i like about having the look-down is that i can buy mushroom that look really good from above although so-so from the side, and therefore CHEAP ;)

As of lighting, I am thinking about a clip on aqualight VHO (i think they are made by coralife?)

May I ask how did you make your removable front leg? Would a 4x4 cross beam be strong enough?

Thank you for your time and sharing with me your experience!

cheers,
vineta

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: