• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

verytricky

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
( feet, not inches... ) 8O

I currently have an 8x4x4 tank built from marine ply and epoxy coated. This is a single sheet of ply for two sides and one for the bottom, and another sheet cut in half for the ends, with a 'window' insert of 10mm glass halfway up the side(24 inches from the bottom, for 14 incheshigh, 36 inches wide)... I now want to build an 8x8x8 tank, using four sheets of marine ply per side, two sheets vertical, two sheets horizontal. I am worried about the pressure in the tank on the bottom, and the pressure on the tank on the sides.

I figured that as I was stepping up four times in volume, that there may be more pressure than a ply tank can handle.

Does anyone have experiance in something this size?

RobertoVespucci

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine building such a structure from plywood. You would all but need to reinforce every few inches with solid oak timbers . . . . Like 7e said, metal frame and fiber glass.

Have you considered what this would do to the ground you'll set it on? You're likely to need a specially poured slab.

I hope you do it, though. It'd be some kind of sweet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really serious you should consider reinforced concrete.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm I hope 8 feet tall was a typo as where in the world are you putting this? My tank Im designing will be 700 gallons and weigh 6000 pounds. Your talking about making a cube that will sit at 28,600 pounds and on what? Half of a house weighs less than that lol. and no this cannot be made out of plywood because the psi alone will rip the nails out of the wood. NOW if you make a tank 8 feet long 8 feet wide and 4 feet tall you are talking a little more practical as this would be 1792 gallons. You MAY be able to make this out of wood and use a liner inside, however your pushing it with the psi. You would have to double frame it and possible have to use braces. Now if you place it in the ground you would have no problem but above ground you may as well use rebar and concrete and 1 foot thick glass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to a BBS and call people idiots and stupid in 2 out of first 8 posts is not a good way to impress anyone or make yourself more welcomed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: