• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

The Chefin' man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal partial reef that I am starting up. What kind of glue/ adhesive can I use for pvc with a fair amount of pressure? Thank you for you help. I have all of my lines run the way that I want them. I wanted a professional look to it. So I crafted all of my in and out lines with pvc tubing and check valve and a shut off valve. I am actually thinking the process through this time and not just building it to make it work and to see it not function to well. I just do not want my seams to leak which they will.

Sincerely,
The Chef

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the pressures we are using in our systems (5-10psi) is well under the ratings for typical PVC pipe/glues available at hardware stores so if glued properly - just about any PVC cement will be fine.

BTW, please don't count on that check valve, they are notorious for stuff growing in them in reef tanks. This causes them to fail, and always when you really need them to work.

HTH,
James

The Chefin' man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess you are right that is what the check valve is for.Sorry I put that in there. I did not know if you could use glue or any other adhesives.

Thank you

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, in fish only tanks - they (check valves) are common. Just that in the reef tanks, stuff grows *everywhere* so you kinda have to be prepared for the worst - know what I mean? :)
Just use the simple PVC cement and you'll be good to go.
Hope I didn't sound terse earlier - not intended :)

Hope all is well,
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: