• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking of trying to copy the light stand in this thread:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... dant+stand

He made it out of copper but I am thinking of using schedule 40 PVC instead. Do you guys think this will be stiff enough? Or do you think the horizontal part holding the pendant would sag too much. Any ideas on how to support it? Or should I just use copper pipe like he did? Any ideas are appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think PVC would sag. Is there a reason you don't want to use the copper?

jayo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that PVC is easier to work with, no need for solder and such. However, with large diameter PVC (get the thick-wall ones), you can make a stand stronger than the copper. Copper actually is pretty soft, and you can bend it easily. For PVC, just make sure it stay away from heat. Heck, you can put a smaller diameter PVC inside another to make it really strong.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not totally against copper. I just think pvc would be easier to use, cut, glue, etc. Plus I already have random pvc fittings laying around, and the cost of copper has skyrocketed the last 6 months. And I am a little paranoid about working with copper and then somehow contaminating the tank, though this is highly unlikely. Heat is one thing I didn't think of with the pvc. But the pendant will be hanging below the pvc and it doesn't get hot enough above the pendant to melt the pvc. Putting smaller pvc into bigger to stiffen it up is a great idea I didn't think of. Another thing I thought of is using aluminum conduit. It is thin walled and lightweight but stiff enough to hold a pendant. Any thoughts for or against the use of aluminum conduit? Thanks for the ideas.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this. Long story short the copper will sag too. It's also difficult getting the joints to permanently bond to each other so the whole thing doesn't come apart. The paint, even with several coats, scratches off real easily.

I would do it with 1/2" PVC to make it nice and low profile.

midgetwaiter

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guy that posts to my local club board did this with 1/2 pvc. He did a had a vertical section on each side of the tank and then ran a cross bar over top. It worked fine when he had a 150w setup but the 250w he bought got too hot and it sagged a bit so he replaced the cross bar with a piece of metal dowel.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks midgetwaiter. Having a vertical section on both sides of the tank will be a lot more stable than the design in the link, I think. I also will be using a 250w pendant, so I guess heat really is an issue. Thanks for the warning.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way is to make a triangle section. Triangle is a lot stronger than just a "L".

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: