• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jschoon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several tanks here that have the backs painted. I think I would like to do mine so I can better hide all the mechanicals and wires hanging back there. What kind of paint are you using? Any suggestions or hints to make it look nice from your experiences?

jschoon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I can go with just about any color that looks good? Is there any reason to stick with a particular color? You know, scientic reasons?

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint it red for all I care, lol, seriously, I believe black is the best color because it contrasts coral's colors very well.

I do believe black is less likely to show through, as a result of not painting as well in some areas. I believe you can do it with any color, just paint it very good.

Make sure your top of your tank is closed off. Sealed from over spray. As well as the sides.

The only place paint goes is on the outside back of the tank. Not on the sides or in the tank.

Be careful. Its really easy to do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is dry, you can stick a lamp inside and it will show where you need more paint.

A friend did her 36gal with purple and blue glitter paint. It looked REALLY good when she was done. Not good enough to make me want a purple backed tank, though. (until coraline takes over)

Other options are black window tint that you soap and put on, or black contact paper.

B

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back of my tank is tinted and I'm happy. But if I had to change it, I would definitely go with a royal, deep blue. I think they give an even better contrast to corals and looks good. But then again, like B mentioned, the coralline does make painting the back a little useless... :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: