• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I was reading a post from someone who lost power and their tank quickly cooled down to the 60s so I was trying to devise a heating system that was electricity free. So this is what waking up at 4 am and going to work and chugging coffee does to you.

Basically the concept is to use a candle (those short candles you can buy a bag of for 2 dollars) and for the candle to heat up two rods which extend into the tank water. THis is the same principle as the electric heaters except for the energy source. Heres a ghetto picture. WHat do you guys think? Feel free to improve upon the design.

Attachments

• J-2[1].jpg
    J-2[1].jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,709
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire == dangerous.

However, reminds me of snorkle tank, you know, the the that burn wood and heat up a water bath for spa and bathing.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fire is dangerous lol. And you would have to closely monitor the temperature anyways. But the candle would be in a frame designed for it. Besides first thing a lot of people grab during cold storms is a kerosine lantern lol. Plus Im sure if you have a tank with thousands of dollars put into it you would be willing to monitor it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a camp stove and put water into sealable plastic bags. Heat them in a pan of water and then float them in you tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with trido, and will get a power generator instead. You need to get a much bigger flame to heat up a reef tank than a candle. Even if you can get all the heat out of the flame, a candle is like... 50W or smaller? Can't heat that much with that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price seem a bit high.... My rule for power generator is 10Watt per dollar, but I guess the type of engine may make me willing to pay more.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dupaboy1992":k74vaddu said:
The price seem a bit high.... My rule for power generator is 10Watt per dollar, but I guess the type of engine may make me willing to pay more.
the price, being high or not isn't the point. the point is, instead of making campfires to keep the tank-mates alive, just get a generator. seems much more logical to me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: