• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i am wanting to put a overflow box on my tank. i know nothing about the tank so im not takin the chance to drill it. im still usin a HOB filter i know stupid thing but i asked LFS when building my tank and got sent home with it well my idea was wut if i pu a bulk head in the HOB then ran into into a sump. my first thought was no way not enof water will be pumped up threw the HOB to make it that helpfull. i seen some plans for overflow boxes that use a siphon to pull water i guess i dont understand these enof to try and build one any ideas thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a simple pvc overflow I designed and tested:

http://www.members.aol.com/beaslbob/tan ... erflow.jpg

20060522overflow.jpg

And a later revision:

http://www.members.aol.com/beaslbob/tan ... ewrevc.jpg

20060802isoviewrevc.jpg

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that is a very good Idea.. that would mean you will have to match exactly the power of the HOB with the return pump, which is nearly impossible.

And overflow is very simple I'm building one using cereal bowls from walmart....lol

Attachments

• benj..JPG
    benj..JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,122
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ansphire":37sxgfdi said:
I don't think that is a very good Idea.. that would mean you will have to match exactly the power of the HOB with the return pump, which is nearly impossible.

Take another look. :wink:

the overflow is external to the tank. The water levels stays at the horizontal part of 3 in the first picture. Which is why the test tank level is at that point. With the mag 7 pumping full speed. And it ran nice and quiet. After all the water rushing is all inside the pvc pipe.

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob i like yours alot i guess what i dont understand is how the water is pulled out of the tank is there a pump that raises the water lvl up into the pipe i guess i dont get this i didnt think the HOB would work but i thought i would ask

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: