Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
For those looking for ideas on an easy to build and for cheap refugium to grow macro algae here is one that I just built.
Went to Walmart and grabbed a trash can that fits perfectly in my 40B sump, ordered some Uniseal from Amazon and the pipes and PVC part had them laying around.
The right side is the inlet and the left side is the outlet, top cutting is where the grow light goes of course.
1cdd495433ad74cd0be2a780047475fa.jpg

333d8ee197274f5ae0b5244623b009f5.jpg

d1bfeac5ce23d83abf4e57a7a8569aa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanm123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!
Do you plan on adding some sort of wavemaker/pump in there? If water is entering from the top and exiting through the top, I'd be worried about less contact time with the macroalgae. You could also add a pipe dropping down into the refugium to mitigate this, but definitely use a check valve to prevent back-siphoning.

Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Awesome!
Do you plan on adding some sort of wavemaker/pump in there? If water is entering from the top and exiting through the top, I'd be worried about less contact time with the macroalgae. You could also add a pipe dropping down into the refugium to mitigate this, but definitely use a check valve to prevent back-siphoning.

Thanks, water will feed from my manifold (return pump) so no need to add power head, the water flow will be enough to tumble the macro algae and being it will be located in my sump no worries about overflowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: