fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have no overflow drilled into my tank - don't want to drill one, or use over flow box, but I want a sump in my cabinet.

I do have an Eheim 2206 canister though.
Is it possible to do this:

1. Water taken from tank into canister filter.
2. Water goes from canister filter into sump.
3. Water passes through various stages in the sump.
4. Water is pumped back into the main tank via a pump.

Will there any issues here (including flooding, etc.)? I'm thinking if the canister fails, it'll immediately stop pumping water into the sump...

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the problem with that is you can never match the gph of the return pump to that of the canister exactly or vice versa.....so eventually either the sump or the display will overflow at some point :flower:

roncgizmo

Thats Mr. Clown to you!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That won't work :( are you good with PVC? I can tell you how to make the overflow I've been using for about a year...Issue free. I think I have a photo of it in my Gallery if you want to check it out. Once inside the the tank you will see two 1" PVC pipes on one side.

Oh, and it only cost about 5 bucks to make.

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
That won't work :( are you good with PVC? I can tell you how to make the overflow I've been using for about a year...Issue free. I think I have a photo of it in my Gallery if you want to check it out. Once inside the the tank you will see two 1" PVC pipes on one side.

Oh, and it only cost about 5 bucks to make.

Actually never have done this before... I'm pretty new to this. Can you give me some tips? I saw the pics, but I'd appreciate it if you can give me more details. :wink1:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Save yourself a lot of headache and have someone drill the tank for you. Just make a post here asking about it and the price will be reasonable. As long as your tank isn't tempered, drilling and having someone put an overflow (or pvc pipe) in will cost less than a hob (hang-on-the-back) overflow. I've tried the HOB overflows also and never liked them.

BTW, the canister thing would never work. You would have some serious flooding issues going on or pump burn out.

Last edited:

Grizzlyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a diferent version use a pipe as a siphen that pulls water from the tank into the overflow and tweek it until u get it just right with the speed the canister filter pumps the water back in to the tank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: