• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I've seen some discussion on DIY forums for reef lighting done with LEDs. Not regular LEDs, these are the super white and blue LEDs (5mm). I've had some experience using these for my RC Car and Helicopter projects, and they are amazing! Just wondering if anyone else has thought about this.

Rebels23

[ May 18, 2003, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Guys,

I am seriously considering doing a DIY on this. Would anyone be interested in possibly getting a group buy together for some LEDs? The price goes down considerably bought in bulk. they look fantastic on my RC car (if anyone wants to see pics of that I can post that). I am going to do a little more research on this, but here is a cool link :
http://www.servangle.net/reef/led/

Rebels23

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I took some pics of my LEDs. It is in my gallery if anyone is interested. I just tried putting the Blue LEDs over my 55G (two of them) and I got a very nice actinic look in my tank. Surprisingly strong too. It was very nice and had a rippling affect too. I think I will definitely consider this as an option for my actinic lighting as it uses practically no electricty and produces no heat. Depending on how I create the circuit, I can make them dim too for a nice sun set effect.

Rebels23

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey House,

I am not sure I understand your post above.

I have to admit, it might take a good number of LEDs to light up a 55 Gallon tank. I haven't had the time to try it yet and am still waiting to get my Metal Hallide setup. After I set that up, I will try some of the blue LEDs. Probably would serve me better to just get some VHO actinics, but aesthetically, if I can make the blue LEDs work, I'll give it a try.

Rebels23

This would probably be perfect for a nano.

[ April 17, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

frostbite

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HoL: I think the theory's that the LED can be use as an night light to simulate the moonlight.
Rebel: I been thinking of doing this for a long time, but I am not really not that bright when it come to electronics. but I am definitly interested in geting in on a group buy if you're planing to have one.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey frosty

I am not too good with electronics either, but there is a ton of stuff on the internet to build a simple circuit. My RC car setup was just a regular parallel circuit. There doesn't seem to be much interest on this, so I think I'll go on EBAY and try to get 100 to 200 of these white LEDs, and try to make a light for my refugium. I'll post pics when I am done.

Rebels23

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey guys,

Decided to mess around with the blue LEDs today, and took some pictures. I used two blue LEDs running on a half charged 9 volt battery.

This shot is a far away shot of zoos. So pretty!

ZooBlueLed2.jpg

This is a closer shot of the zoos.
ZooBlueLed.jpg

I just ordered 100 super bright white LEDs, and I am going to try and make a refugium light. I'll post pics when I am done.

Rebels23

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your LED experiences reb?

Im building my hood this weekend and thinkin about wiring in some moonlight.. or at least leaving space in there for me to install at some point in the future.

[ August 12, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: [JWS]wasabi ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Good stuff on LED's

I read up on this and have found that LED's are for obviously for moonlight and are good insofar as it helps the animals mate and or stimulates mating.

So, I guess it is good in and of itself. Just never thought this would make much difference - it clearly does if you are looking to breed your animals.

Hope this helps,

House

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, im not trying to mate any species in particular, but i think it would just be pretty cool to see some of the nocturnal creatures crawling around.
sleeper.gif

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey wasabi,

Yea I was about to wire up my refugium light last week, with the 100 white LEDS I bought. The thing that stopped me was I couldn't find my bread board. Tore the house apart and still couldn't find it. I refuse to go out and spend another $12 on a bread board as this hobby is already running me dry!!! lol

Will post pics when I get it up.

Rebels23

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. im psyked to see what you come up with... once you find a wood board that is.

anyone given any thought to using glow wire to light a tank? or even glow strips? they seem pretty bright, diffuse light and waterproof is a good plus. http://www.glowire.com/

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... trickin it out would be pretty funny.

what I meant was using the glowwire in the hood and having it function as an ambient moonlight.

replacing the led approach.

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
just made a moon light used 4 leds mounted on a 3/4 inch strip of mirrow plexeglass,used 100 ohm resistor with led,used a AC-DC universal adapter with multi tap voltage from DC1.5 to 12 volt,my max is 6 volt but can lower voltage down to lower leds output,bought these adapter at JOBLOT and 99 cents store for $4.99,leds look great in tank,mounted ledon mirrow side of plexeglass to reflect light down

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: