• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea yea yea, I know. I'm popping up every where.

But I wanted to hear some suggestions on the lighting for a 2.5 gallon tank. Its 12'* 6' high
I wanted to put a few polyps, mushrooms, and soft corals.

I also have a 3 gallon tank thats 8'*8'*24, its a tall tank and wanted some suggestions on the lighting and what kinds of corals I should/could put in there.

I was checking out home depot cause I didnt want to order anything from online but let me hear your ideas.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Knee,

Hows it going - good to see you getting some ideas out there -

I would look for an 18W retrokit if you can find one. I know that petmeister.com sells the JBJ clamp-on for around 40 bucks, but then you'd have to retrofit it in the hood somehow or make your own hood or leave the top open like I do at work with my Nano!

http://www.petmeister.com/item1110.htm - here is the link to the lamp I was mentioning. You may also try Nanoreef.com - there might be something there as well as reefcentral.com under the DIY section.

Also, try this out http://www.hellolights.com/913wretrofit.html

This is a 9w PC retrokit system that would do good if you used 2 (if they fit) and would be fine in my opinion with any softies - you might be able to get away with one even.

House (see you at the store)

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DongShenYin and House of Laughter Thanx for the input and great sites/ideas. I been to Hellolights.com before and they have great lighting and I just went too www.petmeister.com and I see the light I might get (the JBJ Clamp) But what I wanted to know was if I can use the home depot light fixture and just use a 50/50 bulb that the other fixtures use? Cause I hear people talking about the bulbs that come with the fixture, it being too yellow. But just like any light, if its not doing what you want it too. Just change it, right?

But I think im going to go with the JBJ, thanx guys ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: