• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, well here it is..

This will be going in the stand of a 72 bowfront. Its a tight space, but I measured and I think this will all fit.

In anycase, I think the pic is labeled well, so let me know what you guys think about this idea and if you see any pitfalls or places to improve.

baffles are 2" apart.
oh yea.. the 'IN' pipe does not connect directly to the skimmer, only into the sump section the skimmer is in. the pic is a bit misleading.

Thanks in advance, hopefully I will get this made in the next week or so.

sumpdesign_labels.jpg

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Wasabi,

That is pretty much the exact same setup I have. I have pics of it in my gallery. I run a Euroreef ES5-2 skimmer in the same section of your design. The only thing is I do not have as many baffles as you do. I don't get many bubbles at all.

Rebels23

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Yeah that tank will only be filled half way when running so I think you should only go with 1-2" of sand otherwize you won't have any room for macros.

Think about it 6" sandbed with a 9" water height

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe.. yea rebels, you have almost the exact same thing! good to know im not completely off the mark.
Maybe I should just go that route.

that is a 30G long? 36"x16"x12" ?

also, what do you guys think about submersible vs external pumps? the sen700 can do both, but does it matter?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
running that pump external isnt the greatest. It will be noisy, get hot, and possibly leak, they arent really made for external use. They need the water to cool them down. If you want an actual external pump like a little giant or GenX mak4 then your good to go

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes it is a 30G long 36"x16"x12". The guys above are right, you probably don't want the water level to be too high (you want to provide enough room so if your return pump were to fail, you could hold enough water from your main tank until your overflow stops).

And the Euroreef skimmers do work the best at a certain height. So my skimmer is actually propped up in my sump by 1 or 2 inches by a little box.

Rebels23

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah thats a good idea too...
so it sounds like im going to basically copy you rebels!! hope you dont mind :D

btw. the extra set of baffles right before the pump i was thinking could hold carbon once in a while.. thats why its there..

[ January 26, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: [JWS]wasabi ]

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good idea! I actually run a bag of carbon in the last chamber anyway (got to keep those sps and softies in check!!)

I think Rich has a really good point though with the water volume. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have skipped the deep sand bed, and just had macro algae and live rock in the middle chamber. Don't really think I need the DSB anyway. Live rock as filtration itself is already pretty awesome.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Petco sells a 30 gallon tank for an outrageous price (like 60 - 80 dollars). Go to Petland, they have it for like $35 dollars. And they usually have a whole list of odd sized tanks stocked in their back room. If not they will order one for you, or tell you which nearest Petland has it in stock.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Wasabi,

I have the same 30 g only it's acrylic and drilled for three external inlet/outlets - all of which I plugged with the exception of the two on top which is what my overflow drains into - I went with a mag 9 for my return - I have found that the flow has been way too much to maintain macro in anyway, so the whole sump/fuge concept went out the window - now I have DSB and good live rock down there -

I also havd my chiller plumbed into it and my UV

So all in all, it worked out - if you want to see how it was done, you can go to my gallery and to the folder DIY and the stand modifications picture - you can see it.

Also, you might want to consider designing in a drip plate for additional micro filtration - actually, it's the only mechanical flitration on my tank aside from the skimmer.

If you want better detailed pics of the sump let me know I have them but not up on the site.

House

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea if you have more detailed pics pass em over, Im getting the materials together this week and hopefully have it running by the weekend

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: