• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Randy, the author of the article, has posted this before on RC. A # of people have try it and it works fine but you need to make sure you mix it correctly as too much or little of one thing could cause it to be off and sent your Ph and Alk in the wrong directions. Randy states this in his article and a # of people on RC also have similar problems.

Then again it just another product that has a high mark up just because it's in the Marine Fish Hobby.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Pierce,

I am going to loook for this upcoming season and see what they have - I am also going to ask other reefers to take a picture of if I can search the net for ingredientsa to see if there is an equitable substitute for this product in the event the HD's dont' carry dowflake.

Keep an eye on this string.

Jim

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In February, I'd searched all of the HDs near me and was never able to find the Dowflake. However they did have Big Everest Brand Professional Ice Melt 100% Flake by Benick Brand for $11.97. It states that it's 100% calcium chloride, so I'd picked up a bag.

I've been using this product since February '04.

You might want to checkout this DIY Kalk Dripper on RC.

Mike

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Dow Flake is seasonal item, I think HD only carrys at winter time. I got peladow 90% from local hardware store in Flushing.(Roosevelt Ave. and 150St.) I can give you some to try, if you want. I have 50lb bag sitting on my bathroom storage. I think it will last me couple of years.
Here is the link
http://www.dow.com/calcium/product/pelad_pp.htm

[ September 10, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: gforce6 ]

nilo

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there's a new HD in Manhattan 23rd between 5th and 6th ave. but i didn't see any of that stuff there yet. hopefully they'll stock some for the winter.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Nilo

That HD on 23rd street seems to be more of a home remodel/fixin it type place. They didn't seem to have alot of the things that the other HD have so I'm not sure if they're going to carry it. I know they had a very small plant section so there was no room for South Down play sand. some what disappointed in it as I was hoping it would be more like the store in LIC so I don't have to make a trip over the bridge if I needed something.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Anyone in NYC looking to pick up Calcium Chloride Flakes for the 2 part formular, Odd Job or Amazing Saving as their called now, has DartCo 77 which is an 8lb container for $3.99. It's 77%-80% Calcium Chloride and is actually DowFlake but is repackaged by DartCo Seasonal Produces.

Michael

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I have 2 50lb bags of the Big Everest 100% CaCl (12.95 ea.)- freaking stuff is potent and my stuff has been growing out of control - I do have a little RTN on a piece or two, but have been low on iodine and the spot where it's bleaching is touching a rock which may have had another coral underneath it - will keep you all posted

House

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
From the articles the 90%-100% Cal flakes are just like Turbo Calcium and you need to adjust the formula for that.

From a # of posts on RC the 90%-100% Cal flakes are sold under a # of different names from Peladow to Prestone Driveway heat to probably a couple other brand names. It's probably the same product just re-packaged with different brand name.

I'm almost out of Bionic so I'm going to try and make the 2-part and would like to get the higher % brand, and I'll by checking HD this weekend, otherwise I'll use the DartCo 77 brand I picked up.
Michael

S

stratus1

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
i used a simple water bottle (500ml) of
vitamin water, drilled two holes, hooked up a iv drip set into one and a smaller tube in the other (hooked the smaller one up to a penplax pump)
done...switch bottles every day

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: