• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SWW1268

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'd like to get some marine paint for the inside of a hood and stand. I'm looking for white and oak (brownish). Anyone know what's a good paint to get and where to get it?

Thanks.

SWW1268

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks, House. What I've found so far is that I should be using 2 part epoxy. I've searched the web and they are super expensive. Shipping is expensive too. I was wondering if there's a local store that I can get it for less.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey SWW

those paint on top of being expensive, the hazardous material shipping is no joke (HAZMAT)..most people i know just use regular spray paint for the "outside of tank" application i dont see why you would need this expensive alternative. Krylon Fusion has been used on many a tank on pvc and such as it actually forms a bond on plastic/acrylic. Try Reef central search and you'll see for yourself.

Dont believe the hype of things being bad for your tank...most of the resin and paints and such are in many of the equipment we buy FOR our reef tanks.

HTH
DRZL

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i painted PVC fittings in my old Anenome tank...was setup for 2 yrs..never aproblem..let it sit and dry for a couple of days then but it in water for 24hrs just to be safe if you wish

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just used oil based enamel for the inside of my stand and canopy. Easy to get, and I know how it works. If I have to touch it up/repaint the whole thing in a coulple of years, It will still only cost me $6 for some new paint.

You also might try Shrerwin Williams or Janovic and see if they can get it for you. You'll save on shipping then. (but you might make it up in price of the paint)

BC

SWW1268

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I painted my metal stand with Rustoleum exterior paint and thought that it would last a long time. After 1 year, I can see rust in several places. So, now that I'm redoing my system with a wooden stand, I thought I better use something better than regular paint.

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
you must have a boaters world near you in Long Island, that's where I bought white paint used for saltwater applications on boats. I still might have some leftover from last year. I will check tonight. I think I only used half a can.
you will have to apply the paint in a well ventilated area, strong fumes.

Danny

SWW1268

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went to the Boater's World by Roosevelt Field. They didn't have the 2 part epoxy, just the 1 part.

I called some botaing supply places on Cross Bay Blvd and they said they can order it for me, so I'll probably try that.

Thanks anyway.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hey Steve,

I think you could use regular emnamel or latex paint, you just need to seal it after it is dry. I believe you can use SPAR uthane it's used in boats to protect the wood.

Can wait to see your new tank.

Peter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: