• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have heard a lot of you talk about drilling holes in tanks with a dremel. I have a dremel and a tank that needs a hole, do you think you could talk me through the process?
What type of bit do you need? do you follow a template?
Tell me everything, I really want to know

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Jim, your email had no writing in the file. just four pictures with no explanations. Can i find the document somewhere on the web?

Reef Guy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldnt do it unless its a cheap tank, if its anything bigger than a 55 its worth it to rent a drill press from home depot or something. I have done it before to a 10 gal...and jus as i was about to put in the bulkhead....crack. I used a reg ceramic bit from lowes/home depot. All you gotta do it make sure you keep the area wet and keep spraying as you cut.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Aaron,

I know, the description thread was remove, but, all you have to do is use those bits (like I said, the football shaped one did me best).

Take your time, you'll see the progress of the bit, don't let it turn orange - that's bad.

Once you start and get the first hole, use the bit slowly in and out and you'll see the glass powder (good to use a mask) forming and you'll see the progress. I can do it for you if you like, not really that hard - what sized tank are we talking about?

House

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
aaron if you have a router you can get a diamond tile cutter bit from home depot for abotu 15 bucks. Works much better then the dremel.

Need to keep it very wet and make sure it doesnt get too hot or the bit will wear out before the hole is done.

I found the best way to to go the full depth of the cutting surface otherwise the tip wears out and you cant get anywhere with it after

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thank's guys, I was planning on drilling a 10gal AGA tank. (only risking 7 bucks that way) to use as a refugium for my main tank. Thanks for offering to help me out jim, I have a million DIY projects on the list and this is still somewhere near the bottom, so i'll let you know.
My other, much more pressing, DIY drilling project is this: I just got a price to get my new 36gal bowfront drilled at the factory - they want to charge $50 a hole! which effectively doubles the price of the tank. It has made me seriously consider drilling it muself. The only problem is the tank costs $95 undrilled so if you crack it, you may as well have got it factory drilled. Its a big dilemma

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Spykes, most people dont want to touch bowfront tanks because they are difficult to support because you have to lay them on their curved front to drill the back. Also no one will take responsibility for the drilling accept the AGA factory. so if they break it its just tough luck for you.

Jim, I wanted to make a refugium with the 10 gal, i was thinking about drilling it on the side, around the centre of the panel.

Still not sure about what to do with the main tank, thanks for offering the bit BC, I might take you up on it. What do you think the odds are for a successful drilling?

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
zahner-I've drilled at least fifty tanks with each bit and they're still in great condition

aaron- I've also drilled a bunch on bowed tanks.
It takes a delicate touch and alot of styrofoam.

also 10 gallon tank are more difficult to drill since the glass is so thin

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
odds are really good for the 10. You can flip it over and drill from the inside since you want it on the side.

I'd go with a dremmel for the bowfront. Just safer and easier for the back panel. I used a roto-zip and it cut like buttah on my 20.

BC

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
can't you just lay it the way you would when it's setup and drill from the inside??to keep it cool take it out to your backyard and maintain a steady stream of water with a hose.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just found a 10gal on the street so i will have a trial run with that, then see how confident i feel about taking on something a little more expensive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: