• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

HobokenAddict

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I also posted this on Nano-reef.com, my other online coral crib, but I wanted to share with you all as well. I really learned alot about acrylic DIY, and hopfully I can help you not make the same mistakes I did.

I wanted to put the pics images up with photobucket, but it says I get no shizzle, somethin about admin needs to hook it up. But second best thing, here's the thread, hope you likey!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65498

HobokenAddict

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thx Joseney21, I installed the overflow last night and got it running. It's working real nicely and the scwd is pretty cool. My auto topoff will be the following.

I'm hardwiring an azoo mini pump inline with a floatswitch. The floatswitch will be mounted in the pump return chamber, pics will soon follow once I finish it. (BTW-I need a new float switch asap). I'll drop the mini pump with 1/4 tube to a rigid tube that is bent in the shape of a spout, which will then pump fw into the sump.

I went to set it up last night, but the floatswitch is busted, so i'm hoping to get that done tonight.

Tips

1. Definitely use melevsreef.com as a bible for acrylic work.
I followed all his tips for cutting, preparing the edges, and gluing together witht the weldon4. His suggested supplies are right on target.

2. The only thing I didn't use was the supporting the edge with pins. The weldon 4 seem to be viscous enough to seep through for bonding.

3. I used right angle squares and double stick tape to hole the sides together, which came off easy b/c of the film. I din't cut the corner edge off, and I should have. I sort of almost glued my right angle squares to the acrylic and left a little yellow plastic.

4. The key to gluing it is having well prepared edges, nice and clean, no rough spots. I used a razor blade sandwiched between two blocks of wood, and it worked well. If you have the patience to set up a router table to plane the edge, even better.

5. Be sure to clear away the plastic or paper coating a couple inches away from the edge you plan to join. Otherwise, it will melt to the acrylic and just look ugly.

6. SILICONE does not work for anything in acrylic. The amount of force the water exerts will always loosen the baffles.

7. When inserting the baffles to be glued either with weldon 4 or 16, remember to CUT A 45 deg notch in the bottom of each side of the baffle. If you don't your baffle will not sit flush, and you'll be pissed off at yourself(a lesson I learned)

8. Whenever you can, weight down the piece you are gluing. It will help to make a cleaner bond. I used weldon 16 on all corners and edges after the weld on 4 was cured. To make it easier to apply, I kept it in the freezer to make it a little thicker

9. When drilling any bulkhead holes or whatever, dril slow and methodical like a drill press, and aways water it down to keep the acrylic cool. Also, when using a hole saw bit, drill about halfway through the acrylic on one side, then finish the hole from the other. Always keep water running on it to cool.

10. Take your time, rushing guarantees mistakes, and once you screw up with weld on, your screwed.

I keep the weld on down in my garage in manasquan NJ becuase the stuff is so caustic, but I'd be happy to unload some of the the weld on 4 and a tuble of 16 i have, as well as the various supplies I used. However the table saw blade I bought for the acrylic is also used for finish cuts, little or no rake on the teeth, and that I plan on using again.

Feel free to ping with questions or comments.

Thanks for your interest

Flananuts the HobokenAddict

HobokenAddict

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update on DIY sump and skimmer

I modeled my skimmer after UTR's wetworx skimmer on nano-reef.com because of size issues. It works great!. It was easy to make, and easy to tune. Here's two pics of it running on my sump.
DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

Here's the link to the thread on nano-reef if anyone is looking to make a skimmer. This guy's got great ideas, especially the recirculating skimmer.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58540

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: