• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm going to build myself a new refug, just bought a 29gal tank from Petco, and need to know how to measure for the glass partion that go inside the tank. The tank is 12" wide so do I measure from inside glass to inside glass and then take some off, as it will be silicon in place, or get the exact size. :scratchch

tia
Michael

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
generally you would be better off using glass partitions in a glass tank, since silicone bonds glass to glass much better than plexi to glass. but as long as there is not too much water pressure pushing on the partition it will probably be ok.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I don't think there will be that much pressure as it's a refug and the water will just being flowing through it, the pressure will be on the tank itself which is glass. I thought the Plexi-glass would be better than the glass as it would be less likely to break. The glass was only 1/8" and wasn't temper so I went with the plexi-glass but I'm wondering if the glass would be better, either the 1/8" or get 1/4".

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The big issue is the water level on both sides of the baffle. If it's higher on one side, it will push the baffle more. If the water levels are relatively the same, it's okay. Also, what happens if the baffle leaks? Water just runs into the other part of the fuge, right?

Silicone is okay for baffles in a tank, but you'd never want to use it to seal plastic to glass FOR a tank.. It won't hold.

B

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
So it's better to get glass than plastic as the baffle where the water will return will go down over time and be lower than the other baffles. Is 1/8" glass strong enough or should I get 1/4" glass.

If it leaks I would think it wouldn't be a problem as it should still work and operate as a refug. I'm more concern of it either breaking or the silicone not hold the plastic in place over time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: