Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well i got a Powder Blue Tang lastnight , and after i got it home and searched for about an hour for tubeing to dripp it with no Luck . I started looking around the house to see what i can use . well i looked in the fridge and i had a 2.5g PolandSpring Jug with a regulated spout.

did a little thinking and this is what i came up with, maybe it might help another reefer . It helped me and i'll keep it around for future introductions.

2.5g Polandspring jug ( cut a hope on the top so u can pour in your tank's water to dripp)
IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

The Spout : It opens up to a gush.
IMG_2448.jpg

And can can be closed justt enough to get a dripp of about 2-3 drops per second
IMG_2450.jpg

Pour in your tank's water
IMG_2451.jpg

Open Flow ( can be used for water changes)
IMG_2455.jpg

Slow drip ( to Acclimate new fish to your tank's water temp and parameters)
IMG_2453.jpg

In Use. It just so happens that the jug sits very stable on the top of my tank ( u can use the weight of the jug to keep one side of the bag up, and maybe a clothes-peg for the other)

Or set it up over a Bucket

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

andd he's IN!! ( this PB Tang was eating Algea off my LR and the back glass within minutes of introduction)
IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Nice design.

I made this out of a specimin container and some tubing and an old IV dripper

img_0741_328643.jpg

img_0735_704833.jpg

img_0734.jpg

img_0740.jpg

New fish goes into the container and the dripper drips into a bucket taking the store water out for disposal and new tank water is slowly brought into the container acclimating the fish to the tank water. It also kinda gives you a small water change too :)

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You just need to keep watch on the bag water & remove as necessary.

Most LFS' have copper in their water, some have diseases.

well with the jug, u cna put as much/as little water as u want , lets just say u only want to double the amount of the bag water ( then only put that amount in the jug). the flow/drip will stop once the supply is done.

and veryyy good point about the copper in the LPS water, In that case u wouldn't want to chance the bag in your water, you can put the fish in a bucket and dripp into there , ( then just remove the fish only).

The water i got the fish with was copper free.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice design.

I made this out of a specimin container and some tubing and an old IV dripper

img_0741_328643.jpg

img_0735_704833.jpg

img_0734.jpg

img_0740.jpg

New fish goes into the container and the dripper drips into a bucket taking the store water out for disposal and new tank water is slowly brought into the container acclimating the fish to the tank water. It also kinda gives you a small water change too :)

thats sickkk!! :smile:. That seems like it would work well. I just didn't have enough material and the PolandSpring is the only thing i had to wrok with . But i will be stealing your idea lol ( hope it's not copywritten)

and the IV line is a nice touch , it also had a flow regulator on it also. so u sould stop it fast if need to. ( for example if u trip on a toy that was laying on the floor and needed to take a timeout from the Acclimation to nurse your wounds)lol

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Here's mine:

What I did with the pick up tube, was heat it up into a "U" & it hangs right over the rim of the tank.
Drips right into a bucket.

I found that the inlet chamber in the I.V. will clog over time, so it's best to just remove it.

For those that don't have access to a Medical I.V., I made a similar one with airline hose & a airline valve to control the drips.
It actually works better as the airline hose is wider than the I.V. hose.

Attachments

• iv.jpg
    iv.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,352

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here's mine:

What I did with the pick up tube, was heat it up into a "U" & it hangs right over the rim of the tank.
Drips right into a bucket.

I found that the inlet chamber in the I.V. will clog over time, so it's best to just remove it.

For those that don't have access to a Medical I.V., I made a similar one with airline hose & a airline valve to control the drips.
It actually works better as the airline hose is wider than the I.V. hose.
Sickkk, while we at it,, lets see othersss!!

How do u dripp your new fish?!

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
You guys have some good ideas.....here is what i did....

Fish Container -Large
th_27362_36925D_fish.jpg

Air Tube Kit- http://www.petlanddiscounts.com/detail.asp?product_id=359488
359488.jpg

Syringe....
333440.jpg

And a Drill with a Bit one size smaller than the tubing....

And you end up with this...
DSC03753.jpg

It works perfect......I crazy glued some airline tubing to the top of the container positioning the tubing into a "U" and attaching a valve (comes in airline kit) to the end. In the middle of that tubing i put in a "T" (comes in airline Kit) and attached a small piece of tubing with a syringe to the end. I then took a Drill and Slowly and I mean Slowly...drill a small hole into the bottom of the container. Again Slowly....if you rush it will crack the container. Once the hole is drilled you clean off the shavings and insert a valve (comes with airline kit) and attach the rest of the airline tubing to that so that it reaches a bucket. Adjust the valves to as many drips you want to enter and leave the container. To start the siphon you pull back on the syringe and Bloom Blow Blaaaam You are acclimating :biggrin:

DSC03758.jpg

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Why bother doing any of that? All you have to do is float the bag 15 mins and pour some water in every 15-20 mins for about an hour. The bag stays at temp and the creature acclimates perfectly. It seems like a big waste of time and energy to do any of these methods although I'm sure they work fine just not necessary. This is like some macguyver pothead shyt lol

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have come to barely acclimating anything. I have a 3 gallon beta tank, I pour whatever I get into it, about 5-10 quarter full cups of water from tank into that container, scoop and release into tank.

I know many people who have outstanding set ups with everything 100% perfect not drip or do anything at all. Open a bag, coral rx if coral, then into tank. Maybe a temp float if it's real hot or cold out

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have come to barely acclimating anything. I have a 3 gallon beta tank, I pour whatever I get into it, about 5-10 quarter full cups of water from tank into that container, scoop and release into tank.

I know many people who have outstanding set ups with everything 100% perfect not drip or do anything at all. Open a bag, coral rx if coral, then into tank. Maybe a temp float if it's real hot or cold out
That's how you get ich and kill corals. I'm sorry to say but anyone who doesn't acclimate is an idiot. Not only are you risking losing what you just bought but you are also stressing out the animal. No 2 tank setups are the same when it comes to water chemistry just like it's much different from the ocean. It's just pure irresponsibility to dump an animal anywhere w/o acclimation.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would definately have to agree with Trigger on this one. I don't think it's fair to the animal, or the rest of your system no matter what to --chance-- what you "can get away with". If like stated the place the animal came from had some pests in their system, or just to subject the animal to completely different water parameters and ammonia levels and such.

Just spend some time acclimating--it's the right thing to do for all parties involved.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: