• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
hi there,

new to the forum and hobby. gotta say this is a great site. here's a question for you guys. Anyone know of a tank or sort that can be used as a sump under a 55 gal cabinet stand? there's not alot of tanks to fit under there as the front to back is only 11". i could only fit a damn 10gal under there so far. i want a skimmer and a refugium in the sump with a submersible pump in it. anyone know of other thing i can use such as plastic containers and stuff? just trying to figure out what are the options that i can get the most room out of it. also, where can i get the dividers/baffles for it? thanks

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
11" is kind of limited space. I saw one guy connected two 10G tank with two 1" hole, but it is going to be too much work. I would find someone who can build sump for you. Try local first and if not, contact Glasscages.com. They will make it for you.

Good luck

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
yeah 11" is tight. 20gal long is 12" depth. so wont fit either. thats why im having a hard time with this. anyone on this site that might be willing to built a sump for me? hehe thanks gforce and pmui

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
fwiw, aga has a 15 high. it's taller by 6" and has the same footprint as the 10g. unfortunately, that doesn't really solve your lack of surface area problem.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
you don't have to use a glass tank/custom made sump. Anything that's foodsafe will work as a sump, as long as it's not metal. A large rubermaid tub from target or kmart can work as a sump.

Personally, I'd get a 75 gallon and use that 55 as a sump. a 55 is too narrow for a reef, It's hard to aquascape with only 12" or so front to back, while having 48" wide.

BC

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: