• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
I just got bored and started playing around a little with bending some PVC. I got a decent bend in here and there and got it to create an overhang that I could place coral on. Just dont know how to make it look better than bare old PVC, any ideas? fits perfectly in place and I could place a few coral on it to grow out.
Heres some pics so you guys can get the idea of how it looks. Just put it in the tank for the pics. LMK how you think I could make it better.

Attachments

• 000_43101.JPG
    000_43101.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 000_43151.JPG
    000_43151.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 000_43161.JPG
    000_43161.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 000_43171.JPG
    000_43171.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 187

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you can use boiling water to soften the pvc and then bend it, use protection it's hot!
when you get the shape you want put it in cold water. it will lock in the shape. but be careful it will stay hot for sometime.

nice idea Kris, it's going to look cool. make a few while your doing it, let them sit in the tank and become live rock.

but one thing to remember, once all the rock is on there it's going to be heavy, so anchoring it won't be the same as it is now, make sure you get that part figured out.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
jhale said:
you can use boiling water to soften the pvc and then bend it, use protection it's hot!
when you get the shape you want put it in cold water. it will lock in the shape. but be careful it will stay hot for sometime.

nice idea Kris, it's going to look cool. make a few while your doing it, let them sit in the tank and become live rock.

but one thing to remember, once all the rock is on there it's going to be heavy, so anchoring it won't be the same as it is now, make sure you get that part figured out.

Didn't think about the extra weight. Thats probably going to be the biggest problem. Any ideas on how to anchor it? This is gonna be my project for my weekend. Hmmm the space I put the end of it into was really tight, maybe it'll hold???

Rating - 100%
28   0   1
There's more than one way to do rockwork...I'd think cement is the cheapest/easiest way to disguise the PVC for you, though there are many others.

FYI, bending PVC with the stove or a heat gun releases really noxious stuff...wear a respirator and stand in very good circulation (or a spray booth like I have).

I'm actually in the middle of making two pretty cool sunken buttress trees for a new Discus tank I'm setting up...much more complicated than Tonga rock with with different materials save the PVC...

Enjoy!
d.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
delv said:
There's more than one way to do rockwork...I'd think cement is the cheapest/easiest way to disguise the PVC for you, though there are many others.

FYI, bending PVC with the stove or a heat gun releases really noxious stuff...wear a respirator and stand in very good circulation (or a spray booth like I have).

I'm actually in the middle of making two pretty cool sunken buttress trees for a new Discus tank I'm setting up...much more complicated than Tonga rock with with different materials save the PVC...

Enjoy!
d.

Thanks for the tips. Had no clue on the noxious thing. Only made a few bends today, thankfully. Next time I'll do them more spread apart and get some windows open. Hmmmm I'd like to see some pics of the stuff your making, sounds cool.
-Kris

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: