• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well besides never doing any work with Acrylic or a Router I think it came out pretty good. I can't wait to see how it works.

I used:

1/4" acrylic (No frills from Ebay)
#4 Weld-On
Needle applicator
Ryobi Table router
Ryobi Table Saw
1" PVC Bulkhead
1" PVC Elbows x 2

One small power head, yet to be determined, I only have a 1200 sitting here.

Refug1.jpg

refug2.jpg

After hearing that the "No Frills" Acrylic may not be as good as the "Name Brand" stuff, I decided to route 1/4" groves in the bottom and on both ends. I figured this would help hold things together. I also routr slots 5" in from each end... this is mt partition locations. Like a dummy when I glue it together, I glued therear upside down which shifted mt rear grove a little bit off... so now you can see the grove... hrmmm... I decided not to glue the partitions in crooked, so I just glued them to the rear wall. Across the top I place two small bracket which are groved as well to gelp keep the top together under and pressure.

I will be using a small poer head to suck watrt in and the water will return through a 1" Bulkhead and PVC pipe.

This will be my filtration for a 30L in my basement, along with Sand and Live Rock.

Thanks for looking!

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
inkblue said:
:eek: looKs like the aquaFuge i bought... :approve: awesome! ...gonna make more and seLL them?

hehe,,, thx all... doubt there are many more in my near future. I would like to make it better, so I will be trying again shortly.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
marrone said:
Rich

It look really good, just 1 question the baffles look a little high aren't you worried that you could have a problem with it over flowing as there doesn't seem to be any extra room at the top.

Michael

the baffles are 1.5" below the top edge. I may make a small channel next to the BH just to let water exit if it gets too high, "just in case"...

It will be just like the BH just much smaller.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
one quick question how are you going to get water in there? powerhead or sumthing like that...

ohhh and it looks freaking great.. great job on that. i wish i had the patience to sit down and do that. i built my whole room with my dad all formica and wood but i dont have the patience for that stuff anymore

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am going to feed it with a small Powerhead. I only have a MJ1200, "But I think that is too powerful. I and gonna use a "U" tube over the side into the tank... that should do it. As for where I am going to place it, I built a little platform behind the tank fo it to sit on. I an trying to avoid and unecessary stress anywhere. Someone put the fear of cheap plastic into my head... ;)

I'm going to get some of the heavy (thicker) Weld-On and go over seams again, just for giggles. But it is pretty solid.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I would think a slotted baffle before the drain into the tank is needed to prevent the floating macro algae from clogging up the drain. The 1.5 inch you left as overflowing margin is not alot even if you use a maxijet 400 in an event the drain is clogged, just some experiance I had. However, I am sure you will figure out if this current set up will work for you after a few months of running it.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, Made some minor modifications to the baffles. As the water rose across the three chambers, compartment one filled almost to the top of the box. So I used a dremel and cut one inch out of the first and a little more out of the second baffle.

I also need to lower the output bulkhead, so I will need to patch the original hole.

I need to reseal a few spots, so I'm going to wait for my Weld-On #16 to some in. Then I will test it again.

back to the drawing board. The next one will be better.

Rich

ps. Lights and pump are ordered.

Oh also, I will be placing gutter guard across the top of the second baffle since I cant remove it at this point.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: