Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'm installing my RO/DI in my new apartment. My sink has no shut off valves! The building super said they can turn off the water for the day, but it requires turning off the water for the WHOLE building.

faucet001.jpg

The small pipe looks like soft copper w/ a chrome plating. Is the fitting a compression fitting? Can I get a compression to compression w/ a tee? If so, I guess I would have to cut the soft copper line shorter with a pipe cutter.

Any input or help? I have never seen anything like this :hairy:

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
There is a screw type tap with a t handle that will puncture the pipe. I dont know what it is called but it basicliy connects to pipe, the you turn t handle clockwise till it punctures a hole in the pipe. I dont know if this will give you enough pressure for the ro unit

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Keith, if I were you I'd stay away from self tapping valves - especially in old buildings and pipes.

I would install one of these with a braided supply line and put a john guest fitting on the second T to feed your Unit - Or, you can use a straight Tee like this without the valve and put a ball valve on the second section of tee.

FWIW.

House

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
No piercing. These are SOFT lines, not RIGID. Piecing is a no-no w/ soft lines.

No option for braiding lines. The soft lines are brazed directly to the bottom of my faucet.

And no faucet adapter. This is on our dressing table outside the bathroom. My girl would not have it.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
as i see u dont have enough room for self taping valve and those do tend to leak ...if ur building is going to shut of the water just solder a real vavle u need one ne way for the sink in case u ever get a leak

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I like the idea of sweating on a real valve.

How do I know if the soft line is a compression fitting or a flare? Do they even use flares on home plumbing??

A

aloupos

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
IMHO the best option is to ask the super or plumber to install a valve and Tee, then install your RODI unit. The last thing you want is to cause a leek and have the supply to the whole building shut off while you feverishly try to fix it.

Good luck!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
IMHO the best option is to ask the super or plumber to install a valve and Tee, then install your RODI unit. The last thing you want is to cause a leek and have the supply to the whole building shut off while you feverishly try to fix it.

Good luck!

I agree with the above statement!!!!! Or worse yet be sued by the building owner, and the other tenents for damages caused by the leak.:(

In a rental I would just go with the faucett adapter! You can just store it away out of site when not in use.;)

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I actually own this apartment. It's a Co-OP. If any of you have not experienced the joys of a Co-Op, I don't recommend it...

I found the shut off valve! It seems the shut off valves for my bathroom sink control this other sink too! A very odd arrangement..

Now I have the freedom to shut off the water and sort out the fittings. Yeah! :)

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
IMHO the best option is to ask the super or plumber to install a valve

totally agree with above, I can't believe they don't already have shut off's on the sinks. what would happen if one of the lines went and you couldn't find the super....now you have a big flood on your hands. Kinda stupid IMO

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Aha, the old cheapie way.lol

So now all you have to do is install shut off valves in your kitchen.:) That is great news!
I've never owned a CO-OP, and never will.;) I've heard enough horror stories.LOL Best wishes.. And when you go to buy house make sure NOT to buy one with a two party drive way either.lol Did that one onces, never make that mistake again.;)

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Co-ops aren't all bad. They keep the grounds in pristine condition, have night security (my girl appreciates this when she goes for mid-night walks with the dog), and offer great value.

The install went smooth. I had to goto two home depots to find the proper fitting. A small pipe cutter and a vise grip were all the tools I needed.

IMG_0470.jpg

It still blows my mind that the shut off valve would be tied to another sink in a different room.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
"IMHO the best option is to ask the super or plumber to install a valve and Tee, then install your RODI unit. The last thing you want is to cause a leek and have the supply to the whole building shut off while you feverishly try to fix it."

Pretty surprising no shut off valve. So I guess when someone installs a new faucet, the building is without water for the day... Pretty amazing.

Obviously, great advice to first solve the problem of no shut-off valve.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: