KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
definitely will! one question does your special pondnet comes with clear?

We'll have to add it as a Sticky - along with Mike's Fragging Demo to the DIY Forum.
At some point I will also add a piece about how to make them for bow front tanks..when I'm done recovery from this swap :)

I don't believe it does :( I looked into it once, maybe I'll try a different manufacturer.

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can someone please post the parts required? Kathy sent them to me awhile ago and unfortunately I misplaced the list. I am heading to Home Depot today so I was hoping to get the covers done before I set my tank up next weekend. I am putting my tax return to good use. Between school (this last semester was brutal to say the least) and family and life in general I had no time but I think I am finally going to be able to get my tank up and running =).

Joe

Edit: The videos are no longer available, I checked the videos before I posted.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sorry about that Joe, hopefully we can recover the videos, they were very helpful. If not, we'll see what we can do to correct this :)

1st off -you need to go to one of the larger HD stores as they don't all keep screening materials on the sales floor at thuis time of year. (avoid the Freeport store for sure)

IIRC you have a 120?
You need to be able to make 2 individual square covers, so you need 8 of the corner pieces and enough of the long metal edging pieces to cut 8 strips approx 23" long (do measure that when you are working the cover).
I believe each 'length' they sell is 6 foot long, so you will need 3 of them.

Don't forget the spline and spine tool!! 1 package of spline is plenty, be sure to get the size spline that matches the edging you buy.

The netting doesn't come from HD - it comes from Ace Hardware and is found with the Pond products (which they do have out at thus time if year, though all Ace stores don' carry pond products...). You definitely want the kind with the SMALLER 'holes', they should look about 1/4 " across. The smallest piece they sell is 11 x 11 foot and costs about $12 or so.

When measuring for the build remember to deduct the size of the corner pieces from the length of edging and do dry fit the cover as you go along. It should sit just 'inside' that lip of the frame on a 120 AGA tank.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I can suggest two things along what Kathy said- Lowe's have he frame kit in brushed aluminum color and black while HD usually carries only white. Other than that, for the net you can use fabrics called bride's netting (you can get that in Walmart for $0.30/ft or something like that)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Ace Hardware also carries the screen frame kits. They contain 4 48" lengths with the spline already in them and 4 corners per kit.
The downside is they do not carry extra corner pieces, so if you are trying to make 2 covers (most 75 - 90 - 120 + size tanks need 2 individual covers), you end up paying a lot more. Each kit there runs about $13.00, then you need to purchase the netting.

The parts are much more reasonable at HD or Lowes when purchased individually.

The bridal veil netting will cut your light penetration to the tank by much more than the pond netting, with is also UV protected and causes no issues with a lighting decrease.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I called several ace hardwares with no luck. Some even gave me that tone "pond netting?!". Lol

It could be that the Ace Hardware stores in your area don't carry pond supplies, therefore they would not have the netting. Ace is the only place I have found and purchased this product locally.

If anyone cares to look it up the brand name they sell is Gardeneer and it is manufactured by a company called Dalen Products in Knoxville, TN. It shows a website at:
www.gardeneer.com

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What's the best way to cut the metal framing? Mine are 24" length and I need to cut all of them :/.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
I've cut them using a hacksaw or a compound mitre saw. I would think with the proper blade a jigsaw would also work. :)
***Please wear protective eye-wear when cutting these!!!

Be sure to deduct for the 1/2" of space each 'corner' piece takes up

Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I built my cover and besides a few slight mismeasurements it is perfect.

Only issue I'm having is toward the edges keeping the spline in.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: